Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/16 13:01:15 UTC

two changelog files?

I noticed we're presently maintaining two changelog files (two more than
the vast majority of other Apache projects ;-) with the same info in both:

(1)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/site/trunk/content/jspwiki/development/changelog.mdtext?view=markup

(2)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/ChangeLog?view=markup

Why don't we just have the website hyperlink to (2) (or
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/ChangeLog?view=co)
and we're done?  People do open source for technical development, to
keep their skills sharp.  Most have enough secretarial headaches in
their day jobs without needing more on their volunteer jobs, and the
more busywork we insist upon the more they will go to other projects.

Glen

Re: two changelog files?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Juan Pablo, I missed that you had already suggested below
discontinuing the ChangeLog in trunk and just modifying the one on the
website directly instead.  Probably not advisable (as we'd have to
remember to commit on two branches--code and sites), given that you've
already created an automated script to read the ChangeLog file in trunk
for us.  I would still be fine with just linking to the ChangeLog file
on the SVN repository on our website or just adding each new contributor
to the People page.  However, if we're going to continue to use an
automated script, it might be good if we could add a special symbol in
the trunk ChangeLog file that the script can read so that only external
community patches get listed.  Right now, maybe 80% of the changes are
from JSPWiki committers anyway and not the external community, so
printing all updates on the website is causing the contributor patches
to be watered-down/less visible.

Regards,
Glen

Re: two changelog files?