Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/02/01 14:15:23 UTC

[VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC3 AND Composite Repository

Hi,

the third release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA
TextMarker is ready for voting. This vote also includes our new
composite repository.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-192/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/textmarker/tags/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3

Composite repository with three update sites: uimaj, uima-as and
textmarker-2.0.0:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/eclipse-update-site

The issues fixed are in the RELEASE_NOTES.html in the src/bin packages.
They can also be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0TextMarker%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20TextMarker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

ONLY FOR REVIEWING:

Documentation (pdf file):
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/tools.textmarker.book.pdf

Archive with all sources (also present in the staging repository):
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC3 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/1/2013 8:23 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Two things I noticed:
>
> 1. the footer in the documentation says: UIMA Version 2.0.0. I will take a
> look where I can override the product.
>
> 2. what about the license of the uimaj-eclipse-feature-tools? Do we need to
> mention the icons? The binaries in the update site are also a bit problematic.

Yes, I think the license that shows in the Eclipse install GUI for the
uimaj-eclipse-feature-tools needs to mention the icons.

-M

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Two things I noticed:

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 04.02.2013 19:55, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 2/2/2013 6:56 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> Am 01.02.2013 23:11, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>>> Installed OK into Eclipse 3.7.
>>>
>>> Failed to install into Eclipse 4.2 (fresh unzip) with this message:
>> Eclipse 4.2 is not supported yet.
> I think the README and Release Notes might want to note this (and any other
> limitations), rather than have users try it out and have it fail...

It is mentioned in the documentation on page 61 ;-)

I will add a note to both files.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 01.02.2013 23:11, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> Installed OK into Eclipse 3.7.
>
> Failed to install into Eclipse 4.2 (fresh unzip) with this message:

Eclipse 4.2 is not supported yet. I have created [UIMA-2582] and already

    From: UIMA TextMarker Workbench 2.0.0
(org.apache.uima.textmarker.feature.feature.group 2.0.0)
    To: org.apache.uima.textmarker.addons [2.0.0]

Re: having the textmarker top POM also serve as the parent-pom for sub-modules

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
I have no opinion concerning this. There will be another RC, so I will
separate parent and top-level.

Peter

Re: Suggestion to add a binary zip/tar distributable

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 05.02.2013 16:16, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I think there is no binary distribution zip/tar for textmarker?  I think it
> might be wanted - for users who want to download the engine (which is a UIMA
> Annotator), the example project, and maybe some other things.  This would let
> them assemble an application which included running TextMarker, without relying
> on Maven and/or Eclipse.
>
> We do this with most of our addons projects, as well as with our main uimaj,
> uima-as, uima-cpp components.
>
> There's a pre-configured build setup that the addons use, which you could
> probably reuse, and share much of the configuration for doing this already in
> the uima-wide parent-pom.

I will prepare something for the next RC.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

License.txt in the Examples project?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/5/2013 8:06 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> On 05.02.2013 00:08, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> The files look fine.
>
> I must admit that I do not fully understand your proposal.
>
> So, I put uima-eclipse-user-agreement.html in the root of the feature and
> uima-eclipse-user-agreement.txt in the properties.
+1.
> The LICENSE in META-INF just covers the feature.jar and, therefore, contains
> only the ASL stuff. The plugins contain LICENSE files with the other licenses
> like CPL.
+1.

> Is that enough?
Plugin Jars need NOTICE files if there are any notices that go with the Licenses.
> Do we need to mention the other licenses in the click-through license (first
> line)?
Surprisingly, no.  The Eclipse way is to require the user to crawl through the
plugin Jars looking in all the directories, for LICENSE, NOTICE, and ABOUT files.

> Do we need to provide link to the other licenses in the user agreement?
Grey area - I think not, unless there is a requirement for "prominent" display.
There is such a requirement for Category "B" licenses, and I think you have one
of these (the CPL ?) - but that's already listed.

-Marshall

> Peter
>
> PS: I thought the plain-text license is the click-though license and not the
> html version.
They're both the click-through - they're identical except for html formatting.
The one shown by the P2 installer is typically the .txt; perhaps there's some
way to make it show the .html :-)

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC3 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 05.02.2013 00:08, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I've put drafts of the click-thru licenses for features here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/build/trunk/uima-build-resources/src/main/resources/licenses-eclipse-plugs-features/
>
> These, like the Eclipse "feature-update-licenses" are completely generic... and
> refer to things
> in the plugins.
>
> Let me know what you think.

The files look fine.

I must admit that I do not fully understand your proposal.

So, I put uima-eclipse-user-agreement.html in the root of the feature
and uima-eclipse-user-agreement.txt in the properties. The LICENSE in

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/5/2013 8:19 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> On 05.02.2013 00:08, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> I've put drafts of the click-thru licenses for features here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/build/trunk/uima-build-resources/src/main/resources/licenses-eclipse-plugs-features/
>>

>> These, like the Eclipse "feature-update-licenses" are completely generic... and
>> refer to things
>> in the plugins.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> The file "uima-eclipse-user-agreement.txt" has some html at the end:
>
> "<small>Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Oracle
> Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.</small>

ok; now fixed in svn.  (Also added Apache UIMA trademark)

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 04.02.2013 18:17, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 2/4/2013 5:21 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>   A short summary of my reviewing:
>>
>> Tested TextMarker Workbench (Win7 64bit, Eclipse 3.7.2)
>> - checked update site (uimaj and textmarker-2.0.0) and license (textmarker-2.0.0)
>> - tested launch, explain, testing and query functionality
>>
>> Can someone test the Workbench with other OS? I heard that the layout of the
>> query view is broken in other OS, but I cannot reproduce it. It should look
>> like Figure 3.13 in the documentation.
>>
>> Tested textmarker-core.jar integration in maven project
>>
>> textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip
>> - jira-report.html is completely localized ("JIRA-Bericht" instead of
>> "JIRA-Report")
>> - all issues are only resolved (not closed)
>> - license and notice are OK
>>
>> textmarker-eclipse-feature-2.0.0.jar and
>> textmarker-eclipse-feature-2.0.0-sources.jar
>> - additional license.txt in root (needed for Eclipse)
>> - icons mentioned in NOTICE, but package contains no icons
> I noticed that the additional license.txt doesn't match the LICENSE in the
> META-INF spot.   It would be better to only have one.  Are you sure the version
> of this at the top level is needed by Eclipse?  (Other features we have, e.g.
> uimaj-eclipse-feature-tools_2.4.0.jar, don't have a license.txt file at the top
> level.)

The License.txt file is an externalized version of the license in
Eclipse covering all bundled plugins. I think there is a spot in Eclipse
where the user can take a look at the license after the feature is
installed. The license in META-INF is that one for the feature.jar. The

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 04.02.2013 19:37, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 2/4/2013 5:21 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>   A short summary of my reviewing:
>>
>> Tested TextMarker Workbench (Win7 64bit, Eclipse 3.7.2)
>> - checked update site (uimaj and textmarker-2.0.0) and license (textmarker-2.0.0)
>> - tested launch, explain, testing and query functionality
>>
>> Can someone test the Workbench with other OS? I heard that the layout of the
>> query view is broken in other OS, but I cannot reproduce it. It should look
>> like Figure 3.13 in the documentation.
>>
>> Tested textmarker-core.jar integration in maven project
>>
>> textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip
>> - jira-report.html is completely localized ("JIRA-Bericht" instead of
>> "JIRA-Report")
> Try setting the default Java locale to English, for the JVM running maven.  You
> might have to do this by setting MVN_OPTS.

MVN_OPT works.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 04.02.2013 19:28, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> On 2/4/2013 5:21 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>   A short summary of my reviewing:
>>
>> Tested TextMarker Workbench (Win7 64bit, Eclipse 3.7.2)
>> - checked update site (uimaj and textmarker-2.0.0) and license (textmarker-2.0.0)
>> - tested launch, explain, testing and query functionality
>>
>> Can someone test the Workbench with other OS? I heard that the layout of the
>> query view is broken in other OS, but I cannot reproduce it. It should look
>> like Figure 3.13 in the documentation.
>>
>> Tested textmarker-core.jar integration in maven project
>>
>> textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip
>> - jira-report.html is completely localized ("JIRA-Bericht" instead of
>> "JIRA-Report")
>> - all issues are only resolved (not closed)
> Is there any reason not to close these issues?  It seems better to close them
> when doing a release.  The Jira report plugin is configured (normally) to pick
> up both Resolved and Closed.  So I don't think this is a blocker...

There is no reason. I will close them (this time without an email
notification, I hope).

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Extra feature dependency in the TextMarker Feature

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The textmarker doesn't need to depend on org.apache.uima.runtime, because the
other feature it depends on includes that.

Re: [VOTE][CANCELLED] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC3 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Cancelling this vote and preparing TextMarker RC4

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/2/2013 6:57 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am 01.02.2013 23:18, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> On 2/1/2013 8:15 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the third release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA TextMarker is
>>> ready for voting. This vote also includes our new composite repository.
>>>
>>> Staging repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-192/
>>>
>>> SVN tag:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/textmarker/tags/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3
>>>

>>> Composite repository with three update sites: uimaj, uima-as and
>>> textmarker-2.0.0:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/eclipse-update-site
>>>

>>> The issues fixed are in the RELEASE_NOTES.html in the src/bin packages.
>>> They can also be found here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0TextMarker%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20TextMarker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>>>

>>> ONLY FOR REVIEWING:
>>>
>>> Documentation (pdf file):
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/tools.textmarker.book.pdf
>>>

>>> Archive with all sources (also present in the staging repository):
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc3/textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip
>>>

>> Note: the source-release.zip file belongs on the apache mirror distribution;
>> some recent discussions on the infra list say this is required. (Maven went to
>> the trouble to put all their source-release.zip files there.
>>
>> The source-release.zip file is not useful to upload to Maven Central, so it
>> should probably not routinely be put there (unless you have a need for
>> maven-style accessing of that, which I think is unlikely).  It will just take up
>> room there.
>>
>> The individual sources.jar files are useful to upload to Maven Central, though -
>> the m2e plugin support can automatically fetch those when Eclipse wants to look
>> at the source.
>

> Do you have an idea, how I can prevent the upload of the source-release.zip?

You can try configuring the assembly plugin with the additional parameter attach
set to false.

This will leave the assembly in the target dir of the top level project, but
won't "attach" it to the set of artifacts that the install and later steps use
to move those artifacts into maven repositories, I think.

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: license display in the Eclipse update site installer

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
This seems wrong in several ways, as I study more how Eclipse uses these.
So ignore this :-).

See other part of this thread that discussed this further, and Jira UIMA-2636.

-Marshall

Re: Parent Pom - UIMA-Wide - do you want to use version 4 (the latest)?

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 05.02.2013 19:28, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> hmmm, I think that UIMA-2560 is for version 5 (not yet released).
>
> Version 4 was released last May, 2012.
>
> Version 3 (the one textmarker is referring to) was released November 2011.
>
> I was suggesting using Version 4; I'm not suggesting releasing version 5 :-)

Oh, my mistake. Yes, version 4 should be used.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.