Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Aniket Bhatnagar <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/27 08:54:18 UTC

Missing random partitioner in kafka 0.8

I am trying to find an implementation of Partitioner trait that supports
for random distribution of messages onto partitions; something that existed
in 0.7 by simply passing null as key. However, the only way to achieve this
seems to be by implementing a custom Partitioner. Is this feature dropped
to discourage use of random partitioning? Have people seen issues with
random partitioning?

Re: Missing random partitioner in kafka 0.8

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aniket,  I need to create a JIRA and upload a patch for review to fix that.

New improvements were made for important use cases that replaced the default which I will move to another partitioner so folks can use it and revert the original restoring expected default out of the box behavior.  I should be able todo that today.  Here is the detail thread on it
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201309.mbox/%3cCAFbh0Q0of6pe3UL3PExf9u--Wg0yLTM+v3MR+44XgOPwC9yUEg@mail.gmail.com%3e

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC