Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Moore <tm...@blackboard.com> on 2003/03/12 20:16:48 UTC

Tomcat 4.1 with JRE + tools.jar?

I know that the Tomcat 4.1 installation docs say that you need a JDK to
run it, but does anyone know if it would work to run it on the 1.4 JRE
with tools.jar included from the JDK? Would I also need javac?

I found a similar question in the archives about running Tomcat with the
JRE, and the general consensus was that you'd need to precompile JSPs,
but that thread didn't consider including tools.jar and/or javac with
the JRE. These files are now legal to redistribute along with it, and
we'd like to be able to give customers all the software they need
out-of-the-box, so that's why I ask.

Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863