Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2014/07/06 08:48:21 UTC

RE: Proposing for Apache Member?

Yes, of course a community member can propose a member. As Rob says, the nomination and election has to be done by the Members, but not all projects have existing members acting as the eyes and ears.

Of course, not having members in a project community shouldn't impact the project since it is self-managing and membership is only a foundational level thing. Nevertheless, the membership needs to be a good cross-section of our project communities.

If a community member feels someone is being overlooked a mail to private@community.apache.org will reach people who can add notes to the member watch list.

This is the right list for discussing what we look for in members.

Sent from my phone - please forgive brevity and typos

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 July 2014 18:45, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, you can't deny that I did propose an amendment to the by-laws a
> posting ago. :-)

Is there a reason why you are not consistent and apply the same to PMC ?
You have exact the same setup, anybody can propose and discuss a new PMC
candidate, but a PMC member need to nominate and start the voting process.

rgds
jan I

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
I'm not denying it - but I don't personally see the need for it.

  Issac

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
It is correct that VPs (e.g.  PMC chairs) are not necessarily Members,
though it is common that such individuals are nominated for membership at
the next opportunity.

If we made foundation membership a requirement for PMC chairs we would be
limiting the project communities choice for the role of chair based on
foundational merit. That would not be appropriate.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 11 July 2014 14:45, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The hat 'User' states that the following:
>
> They contribute to the Apache projects by providing feedback to developers
> in the form of bug reports and feature suggestions
>
> The hat 'Developer' states that the following:
>
> a user who contributes...
>

> In general, a user only consumes the work (the software, the documentation,
> the postings on the mailing list). They aren't active as contributors (in
> any way, within the community of a project). As soon as a user gets
> involved in a project (participating in discussions in the mailing list,
> posting JIRA issues, etc) he becomes a contributor to the project and its
> work. This person might be a developer or not, a documentalist or not, etc.
>
> Having the 'contribute' in both descriptions makes it ambiguous. Removing
> the aspect of contributing from the hat 'User' partly removes that
> ambiguity. Renaming the hat 'Developer' to 'Contributor', does the other
> part.

A user and a developer are two faces on the same coin, they both contribute
to the project but of course with different parts.

In AOO we get a lot of highly valued opinions, suggestions and error
reports from our users. These items are contributions. Once the users get
involved in the project, they seem get to be committers.

I tend to agree with you, that there are no reason to diferentiate
user/developer, problem is that the world in general does that.

> Subsequently, the hat 'Committer' could be redefined with following:
>
> A *committer *is a contributor, that was given write access...
>
> Actually a committer is quite a lot more, than just having write access.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
While a little tweaking about contributions and contributors might help, the common use of those terms tends to be sufficient.  The User hat is also a casual description.  There are no bright lines.

Note that "Contributor" and "Contribution" as narrow terms of art are called out by explicit definition when needed, as at <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt>.

I think the mistake is defining "User" as an Apache Hat.  You can talk about "them" all you want, but it does not appear to be an useful designation other than for those who self-proclaim themselves to be users (as is certainly their right).  Even "user" reports of misadventures and difficulties are contributions and those can be quite valuable.  I see no reason for Apache to consider that a distinguishable hat, especially with implications of some sort of rank.

Thinking hierarchically, an user is anyone who engages with the project.  We don't know Jack about the ones that don't, not even from download counts.  Identifiable engagement is a contribution, however fleeting.  It would work for me to see there be contributors and then how some contributors also have committer (and other roles) at the ASF and ASF projects.

I'm a committer.  I am not wearing my committer hat in writing and posting this message. It doesn't seem to me that I am wearing an user hat either. I trust that it is a contribution, nonetheless.

What hats are others wearing at the time of their participation on this thread?

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 used and required for signed e-mail

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ross,