Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by ak <an...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/18 22:51:55 UTC

resource mapping and dot in url

Hello,

I have IIS forwarding request to weblogic 10.3 where my wicket-app resides.
We had tough time figuring out why our app wouldn't run as expected when it
is served from IIS. Ajax, js and css failed to load properly. After
strenuous analysis, looks like the problem was with not allowing multiple
dots on the URL string. One of the many request that failed had URL such as
this:

/app/resources/org.apache.wicket.ajax.WicketAjaxReference/wicket-ajax.js

Basically, all the shared resources URL for fetching the CSS and JS were
failed. One solution was to disable a security feature that allows multiple
dots on the URL string. But I am not sure how well this would go with our
server admin's.

Can you advice if there are other prefered ways to get the shared resources
working without the reference having package path on the URL's ?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: resource mapping and dot in url

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
That has only to do with how IIS looks up which script to execute, and
nothing to do with security.  It certainly won't matter on a Wicket site -
the "script lookup" is actually the Wicket filter.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Andy,

If I read this correctly, this is not a security precaution, but a don't
shoot yourself in the foot switch. (Note the 'yourself'.) So if set up
the right way, you don't need this at all. You certainly don't need it
for a Wicket site.

You'll have to do some heavy URL rewriting (or Wicket patching) to get
around this one.

Regards,
    Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten

Re: resource mapping and dot in url

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
What is the security issue of having org.apache.wicket in your url?

Martijn

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:51 PM, ak <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have IIS forwarding request to weblogic 10.3 where my wicket-app resides.
> We had tough time figuring out why our app wouldn't run as expected when it
> is served from IIS. Ajax, js and css failed to load properly. After
> strenuous analysis, looks like the problem was with not allowing multiple
> dots on the URL string. One of the many request that failed had URL such as
> this:
>
> /app/resources/org.apache.wicket.ajax.WicketAjaxReference/wicket-ajax.js
>
> Basically, all the shared resources URL for fetching the CSS and JS were
> failed. One solution was to disable a security feature that allows multiple
> dots on the URL string. But I am not sure how well this would go with our
> server admin's.
>
> Can you advice if there are other prefered ways to get the shared resources
> working without the reference having package path on the URL's ?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released