Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by zhao fengfeng <es...@yahoo.co.jp> on 2002/02/08 08:00:01 UTC

help with host name

I can only access the apache by it's IP on the PC installing apache.
(from other pc in the LAN, I can't access, but it's not a problem, since
I only use it as local test).
My problem is that I can't access the apache by inputting the hostname ,
for example, my redhat PC's host name is set to escortLinux. IP is
172.20.30.155.   how to make the apache page appear by putting
http://escortLinux ?  I have set the serverName directive to
escortLinux.

Re: help with host name

Posted by waldo kitty <wk...@alltel.net>.
you also need a dns (or hosts) entry that points to escortlinux...

zhao fengfeng wrote:

> I can only access the apache by it's IP on the PC installing apache.
> (from other pc in the LAN, I can't access, but it's not a problem, since
> I only use it as local test).
> My problem is that I can't access the apache by inputting the hostname ,
> for example, my redhat PC's host name is set to escortLinux. IP is
> 172.20.30.155.   how to make the apache page appear by putting
> http://escortLinux ?  I have set the serverName directive to
> escortLinux.

       _\/

Re: help with host name

Posted by Game Wizard <gw...@netvision.net.il>.
it's not apache problem.

edit /etc/network and put your name and ip there. and please read redhat
manuals for this or Networking HOWTO.

GW.

Re: help with host name

Posted by "Daniel G." <te...@ct5.com>.
DNS? Use nslooukup to make sure your DNS config is working...

Re: help with host name

Posted by Pietro Cagnoni <pc...@mclink.net>.
> I can only access the apache by it's IP on the PC installing apache.
> (from other pc in the LAN, I can't access, but it's not a problem, since
> I only use it as local test).
> My problem is that I can't access the apache by inputting the hostname ,
> for example, my redhat PC's host name is set to escortLinux. IP is
> 172.20.30.155.   how to make the apache page appear by putting
> http://escortLinux ?  I have set the serverName directive to
> escortLinux.

is the name escortLinux registered in the dns? what happens if you type
'ping escortlinux' on the machine you're trying to browse the server
from?

pietro.