Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2012/11/25 09:35:50 UTC

Need a volunteer for writing a Range class skeleton (should be relatively easy)

Hello all

I started to port more metadata classes on my local machine, but I'm
still hitting dependencies. Yesterday I have hit the first dependency
having a (minor) licensing issue. To be legally safe, I think it would
be preferable to have a volunteer for providing an initial commit of the
class described below. I only need the initial commit; from that point
all subsequent commits were our own. A volunteer could commit that on
trunk, JDK6 or JDK7 branch at his convenience.

I would like a Range class in the following location:

     sis-utility/src/main/java/org/apache/sis/measure/Range.java

The API of this Range class would be almost identical the the Java
Advanced Imaging Range class. In fact, this Range class has been added
in old GeoTools time in replacement to the JAI one, in order to reduce
JAI dependency:

http://download.java.net/media/jai/javadoc/1.1.3/jai-apidocs/javax/media/jai/util/Range.html

However the initial commit doesn't need to be a fully functional Range
implementation. In particular, I suggest to omit isEmpty(), subtract,
equals, hashCode and toString methods since we already have material for
those methods that we can merge after the initial commit. Javadoc can
also be omitted except for one or two class introduction sentences.

I have wrote in more details what need to be done there:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/ip-review/Range.xhtml

Click on the last link ("Range implementation hooked up") - one can see
a more detailed description of what needs to be done. Peoples
considering to volunteer should probably not read past the blue line
with the "Revision 29950" title in it.

We would also need a JUnit RangeTest class, to be written from scratch...

     Regards,

         Martin

Re: Need a volunteer for writing a Range class skeleton (should be relatively easy)

Posted by Joe White <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all,

If no one minds, I'll take a look at this one.  I've been neglecting SIS, and this will get me back into the swing of things.

Joe

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Martin,

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
I should add that there is no rush - there is plenty of other work to do
in the main time. This is just a wish.

     Martin