Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "O'Halloran, Barry" <ba...@thomson.com> on 2003/10/21 19:33:53 UTC

[users@httpd] apache mod_proxy, data buffering

Hello,

I have encountered a problem using the mod_proxy module with apache http
server 1.3.28 when a server application sends data in small packets over an
open connection.

After the client application's initial request through the httpd proxy,
httpd successfully establishes a port 80 connection to the server.  The
server application then pushes data in small (<150 bytes) packets back to
the httpd proxy.  However, the httpd proxy does not send this data back to
the client until it has enough data to fill an entire frame (1486 bytes in
this case).  It can take up to 1 minute for that amount of data to be
generated. The result is that the client application receives data in a
stop/start manner when in fact the data in these small packets is
time-critical.

I initially thought that this may be behaviour of the TCP implementation on
my OS (Sco Openserver); however a Squid server running on the same machine
did not do this.

Does anyone know if this behaviour is configurable? I tried experimenting
with the ProxyIOBufferSize directive but it does not do what I want.

Thanks

Barry.