Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/03/24 04:08:33 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/zip ant.properties.sample build.xml

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:26, jefft@apache.org wrote:
>   -<project name="Excalibur Zip" default="main" basedir=".">
>   +<project default="main" basedir=".">

Please don't ;)

This makes it almost impossible for me to build any of these projects because
in IDEA they all appear as build.xml rather than as a name. Nothing like
having to guess which of the 14 scripts refers tow hich project ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/zip ant.properties.sample build.xml

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:51, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:40:17PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > >
> > > The package.html is quite complete by avalon standards:
> > >
> > > http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/api/org/apache/avalon/excali
> > >bur/ io/package-summary.html
> > >
> > > Perhaps just XMLise that? For these little packages there's not much
> > > difference between user docs and javadocs.
> >
> > Sounds good - volunteering ? ;)
>
> Yep, and more generally, getting the doc system working before the next
> release.

excelent!

> It gets complicated if we want to have source distributions of
> components. That means we can't rely on ../tools/xsl/ for stylesheets.
> Come to think of it, we shouldn't be relying on the checkstyle xsl
> either. Either we can check the stylesheets in with components (like
> Commons), or have a separate module (like jakarta-site2). Or just not
> have a per-component source distribution. Um.

In the future I was thinking of not having a bin vs src distribution at all.
Just a single distribution that contains both the source and the jars aswell.
To get around the xslt sheets outside the directory problem I was planning on
adding properties indicating location of the stylesheet into
ant.properties.sample and requiring them to download them and set the
properties - if they wanted the respective reports - if they didn't then the
builds will run fin without them.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/zip ant.properties.sample build.xml

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:40:17PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:46, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:59:58PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > > BTW If you were to create some basic documentation for the io package
> > > (describing what it is and what it useful for etc) and placed it in
> > > io/src/xdocs/index.xml then that would be fairly kool ;)
> >
> > The package.html is quite complete by avalon standards:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/api/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/
> >io/package-summary.html
> >
> > Perhaps just XMLise that? For these little packages there's not much
> > difference between user docs and javadocs.
>
> Sounds good - volunteering ? ;)

Yep, and more generally, getting the doc system working before the next
release.

It gets complicated if we want to have source distributions of
components. That means we can't rely on ../tools/xsl/ for stylesheets.
Come to think of it, we shouldn't be relying on the checkstyle xsl
either. Either we can check the stylesheets in with components (like
Commons), or have a separate module (like jakarta-site2). Or just not
have a per-component source distribution. Um.

--Jeff

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:46, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:59:58PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > BTW If you were to create some basic documentation for the io package
> > (describing what it is and what it useful for etc) and placed it in
> > io/src/xdocs/index.xml then that would be fairly kool ;)
>
> The package.html is quite complete by avalon standards:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/api/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/
>io/package-summary.html
>
> Perhaps just XMLise that? For these little packages there's not much
> difference between user docs and javadocs.

Sounds good - volunteering ? ;)

> Btw, is the plan to eventually break up the other packages in 'all'?

Everything I need ;)

I hope other people will break out stuff they need.

> Playing with <style> now..

excellent!

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/zip ant.properties.sample build.xml

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:23, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:08:33PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:26, jefft@apache.org wrote:
> > >   -<project name="Excalibur Zip" default="main" basedir=".">
> > >   +<project default="main" basedir=".">
> >
> > Please don't ;)
> >
> > This makes it almost impossible for me to build any of these projects
> > because in IDEA they all appear as build.xml rather than as a name.
> > Nothing like having to guess which of the 14 scripts refers tow hich
> > project ;)
>
> Doh :P Okay, will undo.

kool ;)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.