Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sebastian Nohn <se...@nohn.net> on 2005/06/15 11:27:45 UTC

Charset Weirdness

Hi,

there are three computers:

System A ist Linux, running mod_dav_svn
System B is Windows XP, running TortoiseSVN
System C is Windows XP, running Cygwin/svn

When committing filenames containing umlauts from B to A, an update on C
(from A) is not possible:

   $ svn up
   svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
   svn: ....../begr?\195?\188ndung.txt

Re: Charset Weirdness

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 15, 2005, at 6:27 AM, Sebastian Nohn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there are three computers:
>
> System A ist Linux, running mod_dav_svn
> System B is Windows XP, running TortoiseSVN
> System C is Windows XP, running Cygwin/svn
>
> When committing filenames containing umlauts from B to A, an update
> on C
> (from A) is not possible:

>    $ svn up
>    svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
>    svn: ....../begr?\195?\188ndung.txt
>
> Is this a (know) bug? How to fix or workaround this (not committing
> umlauts is not an option).

Read about setting the locale properly, especially the "character set
conversion errors" box:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.l10n.html

Re: Charset Weirdness

Posted by Hannes Erven <h....@gmx.at>.
Sebastian,

> System A ist Linux, running mod_dav_svn
> System B is Windows XP, running TortoiseSVN
> System C is Windows XP, running Cygwin/svn
>
> When committing filenames containing umlauts from B to A, an update on C
> (from A) is not possible:

 From my experience cygwin has always problems handling Umlaute.

I suggest you either use TortoiseSVN or the native windows SVN build on
machine C - for the extra benefit that you do not need an extra shell.

Liebe Grüße,

	-hannes