Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Emily36 <bi...@libero.it> on 2010/07/05 09:32:59 UTC

Console appender much slower then File appender. Why ?

Hi all,
We have recentely got some issues with the performance of our loggings
printed on the Console. I have calculated that on an Application Server
(JBoss) running on a 8 Giga RAM and 4 CPU machine, the logs are considerably
faster when using a File appender then a Console (around 40% faster). Is
there any explanation why logging on the Console (which should translate to
a System.out) is so slow ?
thanks a lot
Emily

Re: Console appender much slower then File appender. Why ?

Posted by Emily36 <bi...@libero.it>.
thank you very much for the quick and useful reply!
Well I guess that if I use the Console appender redirecting the output on a
file, the time spent in logging should be quite the same..I'll check it
out.....thanks again.....
Emily

Posted by Brett Randall <ja...@gmail.com>.