Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by tu...@brainlink.com on 2000/07/02 02:21:01 UTC

mod_perl and unix domain sockets

	I needed search functionality in the current mod_perl app I'm
writing, and after a quick scan of the options, I settled on swish++. I planned
to let swish++ run as a daemon process and have my mod_perl scripts connect
to the unix domain socket it communicates with. For some reason, though, I
can't establish the connection, even using the perl code that works in the
searchc script bundled with swish++. I've tried several twists on that code,
and I've tried IO::Socket::UNIX. I've tried connecting inside the script and
inside libraries. Whatever I do, I get an "Illegal Seek" error (from $!).

	Is this a problem with swish++ or something about mod_perl I don't
know about. I've tried these scripts under Apache 1.3.12+mod_perl 1.24 and the
perl 5.005 that is packaged with Debian/Unstable and a hand built Perl 5.6.0.

	And while I'm composing this email, I might as well also ask for
recommendations on any good search engines that can a) index local text files
b) do incremental updates c) possibly work with oracle if they are sql based
d) a script will be processing the output, so no fancy HTML output needed
with a solid perl interface. I prefer them to be free for commercial use (I
am in somewhat of a hurry and might not be able to get the funds that quickly
:)

--
Tugrul Galatali <tu...@brainlink.com>
Developer & System Administrator @ Brainlink.com