Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Yiping Zhang <yz...@marketo.com> on 2015/07/09 20:22:01 UTC

[Urgent]: xenserver hosts stuck in alert state after 4.3.2 -> 4.5.1 upgrade

Hi, all:

We just did an upgrade from CS 4.3.2 -> 4.5.1.  Our environment is rhel 6 + Adv. Zone with SecurtyGroup + XenServer 6.2.

After the upgrade, all xenserver hosts were in alert state and MS can’t connect to them with following errors:

INFO  [c.c.h.x.r.CitrixResourceBase] (DirectAgent-9:ctx-7fc226ce) Host 10.0.100.25 OpaqueRef:996c575a-ad04-5f3f-cd6d-56b7daa16844: Host 10.0.100.25 is already setup.

WARN  [c.c.h.x.r.CitrixResourceBase] (DirectAgent-9:ctx-7fc226ce) Failed to configure brige firewall

WARN  [c.c.h.x.r.CitrixResourceBase] (DirectAgent-9:ctx-7fc226ce) Check host 10.0.100.25 for CSP is installed or not and check network mode for bridge

WARN  [c.c.h.x.d.XcpServerDiscoverer] (AgentTaskPool-13:ctx-b4517020) Unable to setup agent 5 due to Failed to configure brige firewall

INFO  [c.c.u.e.CSExceptionErrorCode] (AgentTaskPool-13:ctx-b4517020) Could not find exception: com.cloud.exception.ConnectionException in error code list for exceptions

WARN  [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl] (AgentTaskPool-13:ctx-b4517020) Monitor XcpServerDiscoverer says there is an error in the connect process for 5 due to Reinitialize agent after setup.

INFO  [c.c.a.m.AgentManagerImpl] (AgentTaskPool-13:ctx-b4517020) Host 5 is disconnecting with event AgentDisconnected

WARN  [c.c.r.ResourceManagerImpl] (AgentTaskPool-13:ctx-b4517020) Unable to connect due to

com.cloud.exception.ConnectionException: Reinitialize agent after setup.

        at com.cloud.hypervisor.xenserver.discoverer.XcpServerDiscoverer.processConnect(XcpServerDiscoverer.java:621)

        at com.cloud.agent.manager.AgentManagerImpl.notifyMonitorsOfConnection(AgentManagerImpl.java:539)

        at com.cloud.agent.manager.AgentManagerImpl.handleDirectConnectAgent(AgentManagerImpl.java:1447)

        at com.cloud.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.createHostAndAgent(ResourceManagerImpl.java:1794)

        at com.cloud.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.createHostAndAgent(ResourceManagerImpl.java:1920)

        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor142.invoke(Unknown Source)

        at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)

        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)

        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:91)

        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)

        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy149.createHostAndAgent(Unknown Source)

        at com.cloud.agent.manager.AgentManagerImpl$SimulateStartTask.runInContext(AgentManagerImpl.java:1078)

        at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable$1.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:49)

        at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext$1.call(DefaultManagedContext.java:56)

        at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.callWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:103)

        at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.impl.DefaultManagedContext.runWithContext(DefaultManagedContext.java:53)

        at org.apache.cloudstack.managed.context.ManagedContextRunnable.run(ManagedContextRunnable.java:46)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

The error implies that it was expecting linux bridge on XenServer and couldn’t find it. After checking on XenServer hosts, we have been using openvswitch instead of linux bridge as network backend all this time.

So the question comes down to:

 1.  If CS advanced zone with SecurityGroup only supported on XenServer using linux bridge backend, why did 4.3.x allow us to work with unsupported configurations for so long without any apparent issues, and does CS 4.5.1 now enforce this requirement ?
 2.  If we switch network backend from openvswitch to linux bridge, would this fix the problem?  We are hoping to avoid this step, as it requires rebooting all XenServer hosts and shuffling around hundreds of VM instances.
 3.  Is there any other solutions to make newly upgraded cloudstack 4.5.1 management server to reconnect to our XenServer hosts ?

Thanks in advance,

Yiping

Re: [Urgent]: xenserver hosts stuck in alert state after 4.3.2 -> 4.5.1 upgrade

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
I cannot be sure without (being able of) reading code, but I'm thinking there were no proper checks in place for this within Cloudstack until now.
Your instances probably worked somehow with the openvswitch bridge and you did not realise the problem since you have not actually used the security groups.

If that's the case I'd just downgrade to whatever version you tried last that worked and give myself some more time to plan this out in the longer term..

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Yiping Zhang <yz...@marketo.com>.
Hi, Lucian: