Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/28 10:57:18 UTC

Distributed Installation for security reasons

Hi

We want to use ofbiz as our ERP software and also as our E-Commerce
solution. For security reasons it would be a good idea to not install both
of them on the same system.

Is there any documentation about how to install ofbiz in a distributed
matter so we can run E-Comm inside the DMZ while the rest is run inside the
network?

Also is there a way to use ofbiz together with magento?

Regards,
Adrian

Re: Distributed Installation for security reasons

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
There are no specific documentation for you case.
It's possible to secure OFBiz the way you want. You have to share the DB from both OFBiz instances using entityengine.xml for the setting
Note though that it would be still possible to compromise your DB from the less secured instance.
I would rather completely secure the whole system, that's not an OFBiz topic...

It's also possible to use Magento as an ecommerce interface (Opentaps has a module for that IIRW) but not OOTB

Jacques

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Nothing is preventing you to have multiple OFBiz systems which different
components enabled accessing the same database.

Regards,
Hans
antwebsystems.com

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer. Today my ofbiz cookbook arrived which has a chapter
about both, security and accessing multiple databases.

Hopefully this helps when the time comes.

Your answer shows a way very similiar to what i had in mind. So thanks
again.

Re: Distributed Installation for security reasons

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Security management is not easy and there is no simple answer to it.
Also, it depends where are you hosting your sites. Are they in public
cloud, public data center, your private cloud or your private data center?

However, I can suggest you a typical small setup:

Your firewall at the edge of your LAN and where your WAN terminates
Two or more VLANs (DMZ, office network, database and application server).

Host your web server (Apache web server) in the DMZ VLAN
Host your Application servers (OFBiz)  and Database server.

I assume your private network is trusted and you do not need any SSL.
All SSL can be terminated at your web server. Your web sever will
communicate with your application servers using private address range
such as 192.168.x.x

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for clarifying this.

For the record, this are two links with similiar topics: (any more would be
appreciated)

http://osdir.com/ml/java.ofbiz.user/2007-08/msg00331.html
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-user/201105.mbox/%3CED04772581D6B147855C49C32D011B3D23D992D5C5@NDA-HCLT-EVS04.HCLT.CORP.HCL.IN%3E

There is also a PDF called OFBizBasicProductionSetup.pdf which seems to
hold some value.

Posted by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.