Posted to user@spark.apache.org by chopinxb <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/20 09:46:31 UTC

Can spark shuffle leverage Alluxio to abtain higher stability?

In my use case, i run spark on yarn-client mode with dynamicAllocation
enabled,  When a node shutting down abnormally, my spark application will
fails because of task fail to fetch shuffle blocks from that node 4 times.
Why spark do not leverage Alluxio(distributed in-memory filesystem) to write
shuffle blocks with replicas ?  In this situation,when a node shutdown,task
can fetch shuffle blocks from other replicas. we can abtain higher stability

Re: Can spark shuffle leverage Alluxio to abtain higher stability?

Posted by vincent gromakowski <vi...@gmail.com>.
If not resilient at spark level, can't you just relaunch you job with your
orchestration tool ?

Posted by Georg Heiler <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vincent gromakowski <vi...@gmail.com>.
Probability of a complete node failure is low. I would rely on data lineage
and accept the reprocessing overhead. Another option would be to Write on
distributed FS but it will drastically reduce all your jobs speed

Posted by vincent gromakowski <vi...@gmail.com>.
In your case you need to externalize the shuffle files to a component
outside of your spark cluster to make them persist after spark workers
death.
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html#configuring-the-external-shuffle-service