Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by cl...@bigpond.com on 2016/04/07 00:36:48 UTC

Inserting photo into document query

Hi,

Whenever i insert a photo into a document, the photo automatically goes from vertical to horizontal.

The photo is ok and as soon as I insert it into a file, it flips onto it’s side.

How do i fix this??

Sharon Woodford

Re: Inserting photo into document query

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 08:36 07/04/2016 +1000, Sharon Woodford wrote:
>Whenever i insert a photo into a document, the photo automatically
>goes from vertical to horizontal.

This is not general behaviour, of course. What sort of document are
you creating? If this is a text document, I don't think Writer even
*knows* how to rotate a picture.

>The photo is ok ...

How do you know it is "OK"? Whatever you see on a computer is only a
rendering of something, not the item itself. If you are viewing the
picture on your camera or in some associated application, is its
possible that the picture is always exported in one orientation
(portrait or landscape) but that your camera or application keeps a
record which enables it to display the picture appropriately? Or are
you just used to rotating your camera and expecting OpenOffice to
read your mind?

>How do i fix this?

Take your pick:

o Rotate the picture before you insert it - using either your camera
or its associated software or other graphic processing software.

o Paste the picture instead into a drawing (OpenOffice Draw)
document. Go to Format | Position and Size... | Rotation (or
right-click | Position and Size... | Rotation, or press F4). Under
"Rotation angle", set Angle to 90 (or perhaps 270) degrees. Copy and
paste the result into your text document.

At 06:36 08/04/2016 +1000, Sharon Woodford wrote:
>First thing i tried [sc: rotating the photo before inserting it into
>the file].

How did you "try" this? If you had genuinely rotated a graphic, the
result would surely have been different. How are you viewing the
rotated photo - again in your camera or its software?

>There should be a better way!

See above.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Inserting photo into document query

Posted by John Caruso <mi...@aol.com>.
I am not Julian

First thing i tried. That doesn't work either. I tried the 'flip" option but
that only gives me a mirror image from the opposite angle. It doesn't turn
the image from horizontal to vertical.

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

 —

Posted by Peter Hillier-Brook <ph...@hbsys.plus.com>.
On 09/04/16 14:43, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 08:36 07/04/2016 +1000, Sharon Woodford wrote:
>> Whenever i insert a photo into a document, the photo automatically
>> goes from vertical to horizontal.

Did you see this dialogue

"This image is rotated. Would you like to rotate it into standard
orientation?" If declined then right-clicking the selected image will
reveal a "rotate" option.

> This is not general behaviour, of course. What sort of document are you
> creating? If this is a text document, I don't think Writer even *knows*
> how to rotate a picture.

Brian, see above, but the "knowing" is with the operator in LO 5.1.2. :-)

Peter HB

Re: Inserting photo into document query

Posted by Peter Hillier-Brook <ph...@hbsys.plus.com>.
Whoops! Wrong mailing list. Sorry for previous post.