Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/09/13 10:35:38 UTC

External linking Was: Isolation in case of Single Partition Writes and Batching with LWT

On 12/09/2016 19:22, Jim Ancona wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Is there some official Apache policy on which sites it's appropriate to
> link to on an Apache mailing list? If so, could you please post a link
> to it so we can all understand the rules. Or is this your personal
> opinion on what you'd like to see here?
>
> Thanks!

The relevant policy quote from [1] is "... Apache projects are required
to govern themselves independently of undue commercial influence." which
is expanded on in [2].

One of the elements of [2] is that perception is important. If a project
is not independent of commercial influence, or there is a perception
that that is the case, then that is an issue.

In the majority of cases, external links are fine. If the project docs
don't cover something, more depth is required than is available in the
docs, a different perspective on the same topic is better suited to the
problem at hand, etc. are all fine.

It is links that can give the impression that the official Apache
Cassandra docs are hosted by an external entity that are a concern. Such
links increase the risk that the perception is created/re-enforced that
the entity that hosts the external site has some special status within
the project and that falls foul of the 'no undue commercial influence'
requirement.

Mark

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
[2] http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

Re: External linking Was: Isolation in case of Single Partition Writes and Batching with LWT

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
Again: *dev list*.

"Please Note: These requirements apply to Apache projects: that is, to
*individual
committer and PMC behaviors* and actions within the context of
collaboratively building software products at The Apache Software
Foundation. By definition here, "Apache project" means the collaborative
activity of *building a software release* called an "Apache product" here
at the ASF."

My emphasis.  This document expressly limits its applicability, both in
terms of individuals and activities.  *Neither* of these scopes apply here,
so you have no basis for your actions.

It is, in my view, shameful to try to strong arm a community to your will
without even reading the rules you think you are applying beyond a cursory
glance to check they confirm your prior held beliefs.

Again, and now with *your own* justification, I ask you to stop.