Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Chen <qu...@NOSPAM.quarl.org> on 2004/12/09 08:04:10 UTC

svn repos locking tool

Hi,

Is there any way to run arbitrary things while keeping a
repository in a consistent state?

For example, to implement a tar+gz or rsync backup instead of
'svnadmin hotcopy'.

Maybe a "run with locking" command like:

  svnadmin syncexec /repos/myrepos -- tar xzf /backup/myrepos.tar.gz /repos/myrepos

Or:
  lock_handle=`svnadmin lock /repos/myrepos` || exit 1
  do_stuff
  svnadmin unlock $lock_handle

The possibility of using rsync to incrementally backup an FSFS
repository is nice but it seems right now we'd have to take the
server offline to do it (and this can be painful unless it's only
accessed through svn://)

Also, /svn/trunk/notes/fsfs talks about plans for 'svnadmin
recover' being able to deal with naive copies - will this be in
subversion 1.2?

--
Karl 2004-12-08 23:49

Re: svn repos locking tool

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
hi,

17:52:52 < darix> mirror svn?
17:52:52 < ayita> a sample script for mirroring svn and a lot of links
around it can be found on
http://monsters.rsn.uni-rostock.de./~darix/svnmirror.sh.txt . the script
is now available via the svn repository aswell see:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/server-side/svnmirror.sh

this works with both backends.

darix

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/

Re: svn repos locking tool

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 03:04, Karl Chen wrote:
> The possibility of using rsync to incrementally backup an FSFS
> repository is nice but it seems right now we'd have to take the
> server offline to do it (and this can be painful unless it's only
> accessed through svn://)

Why?  Just make sure to copy the db/current file before everything
else.  (If rsync can't be made to impose this ordering, then make a copy
of db/current to some side location, rsync the whole thing, and then
copy the stored db/current into the target.)