Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/01/17 14:32:29 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by JeffTrawick

Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ" page has been changed by JeffTrawick:
https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=33&rev2=34

Comment:
fix duplicate section numbering/lettering

  == May I use the Apache logo on my product or Web site? ==
  You may NOT use any original artwork from the Apache Software Foundation, nor make or use modified versions of such artwork, except under the conditions in the  [[http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/|Apache Trademark Policy]] document.

- = B. General Technical Questions =
+ = General Technical Questions =
  == "Why can't I ...? Why won't ... work?" What to do in case of problems ==
  If you are having trouble with your Apache server software, you should take the following steps:

@@ -115, +115 @@

  The sole exception to these practices is the Windows package. Unlike most Unix and Unix-like platforms, Windows systems do not come with a bundled software development environment, so we do prepare binary kits for Windows when we make a release. Again, however, it's a voluntary thing and only a limited number of the developers have the capability to build the InstallShield package, so the Windows release may lag somewhat behind the source release. This lag should be no more than a few days at most.

- = C. Building Apache httpd =
+ = Building Apache httpd =
  == Why do I get an error about an undefined reference to "__inet_ntoa" or other __inet_* symbols? ==
  If you have installed BIND-8 then this is normally due to a conflict between your include files and your libraries. BIND-8 installs its include files and libraries /usr/local/include/ and /usr/local/lib/, while the resolver that comes with your system is probably installed in /usr/include/ and /usr/lib/. If your system uses the header files in /usr/local/include/ before those in /usr/include/ but you do not use the new resolver library, then the two versions will conflict.

@@ -150, +150 @@

  If you fail to do this, then it is very likely that Apache will fail to build. One of the most common errors is with readv, writev, or uio.h. This is not a bug with Apache. You will need to re-install GCC.

- = D. Error Log Messages and Problems Starting Apache =
+ = Error Log Messages and Problems Starting Apache =
  == Why do I get "setgid: Invalid argument" at startup? ==
  Your Group directive (probably in conf/httpd.conf) needs to name a group that actually exists in the /etc/group file (or your system's equivalent). This problem is also frequently seen when a negative number is used in the Group directive (e.g., "Group #-1"). Using a group name -- not group number -- found in your system's group database should solve this problem in all cases.

@@ -236, +236 @@

  This error may happen because you need to install the Windows C Runtime Libraries on the target machine.  Note that this doesn't mean you need to load them explicitly into HTTPD, just install them on the host machine!  This is likely to affect users of IBM's httpd trying to load modules not supplied by IBM, and might arise in other circumstances where the server and the module are compiled using different build options.

- = E. Configuration Questions =
+ = Configuration Questions =
  == Why can't I run more than <n> virtual hosts? ==
  You are probably running into resource limitations in your operating system. The most common limitation is the per-process limit on file descriptors, which is almost always the cause of problems seen when adding virtual hosts. Apache often does not give an intuitive error message because it is normally some library routine (such as gethostbyname()) which needs file descriptors and doesn't complain intelligibly when it can't get them.

@@ -413, +413 @@

  </VirtualHost>
  }}}
- = F. Dynamic Content (CGI and SSI) =
+ = Dynamic Content (CGI and SSI) =
  == How do I enable CGI execution in directories other than the ScriptAlias? ==
  Apache recognizes all files in a directory named as a ScriptAlias as being eligible for execution rather than processing as normal documents. This applies regardless of the file name, so scripts in a ScriptAlias directory don't need to be named "*.cgi" or "*.pl" or whatever. In other words, all files in a ScriptAlias directory are scripts, as far as Apache is concerned.

@@ -512, +512 @@

  }}}
  If you are using suexec, the first technique will not work because CGI scripts must be stored under the public_html directory.

- = G. Authentication and Access Restrictions =
+ = Authentication and Access Restrictions =
  == Why isn't restricting access by host or domain name working correctly? ==
  Two of the most common causes of this are:

@@ -612, +612 @@

  }}}
  Further examples can be found in the Environment Variables documentation.

- = H. URL Rewriting =
+ = URL Rewriting =
  == Where can I find mod_rewrite rulesets which already solve particular URL-related problems? ==
  There is a collection of practical solutions that can be found in the [[http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/rewrite/|URL Rewriting Guide]]. If you have more interesting rulesets which solve particular problems not currently covered in this document, open a doc suggestion in bugzilla to add it. The other webmasters will thank you for avoiding the reinvention of the wheel.

@@ -641, +641 @@

  == How can I use strings with whitespaces in RewriteRule's ENV flag? ==
  There is only one ugly solution: You have to surround the complete flag argument by quotation marks ("[E=...]"). Notice: The argument to quote here is not the argument to the E-flag, it is the argument of the Apache config file parser, i.e., the third argument of the RewriteRule here. So you have to write "[E=any text with whitespaces]".

- = I. Features =
+ = Features =
  == Does or will Apache act as a Proxy server? ==
  [[http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html|mod_proxy]] provides proxying functionality for a variety of protocols.