Posted to community@apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/03/17 03:04:49 UTC

"The need for international protection for free software"

A proposed "Free Software Act" provides an alternative to addressing
software licensing through the copyright process.

  http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44100.htm?DE=1

Just kind of an interesting read.  Especially if you are Roy, and understand
all of the big words.  ;-)

	--- Noel

RE: "The need for international protection for free software"

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > A proposed "Free Software Act" provides an alternative to addressing
> > software licensing through the copyright process.
> >    http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44100.htm?DE=1
> > Just kind of an interesting read.  Especially if you are Roy, and
> > understand all of the big words.  ;-)

> Interesting, though the author doesn't have a friggin' clue in regards
> to the ramifications of creating a body of law in which anyone can sue
> anyone else for a perceived violation of "any software licensed under
> Free Software Foundation licenses."  Give me copyright law, please.

I figured that someone who so obviously went out of her way to obfuscate her
prose with jargon and sophisticated terms was either trying to bedazzle with
brilliance or baffle with BS.  From the improper use of words, such as in
the sentence: "The free software community has adopted copyright together
with licenses in a seditious way, to protect their works", I was wondering
if it might not be the baffle with BS case.  I may not know the implications
of a "Lex Mercatoria", but I am passably acquainted with the English
language.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> A proposed "Free Software Act" provides an alternative to addressing
> software licensing through the copyright process.
>
>   http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44100.htm?DE=1
>
> Just kind of an interesting read.  Especially if you are Roy, and
> understand
> all of the big words.  ;-)

Interesting, though the author doesn't have a friggin' clue in regards
to the ramifications of creating a body of law in which anyone can sue
anyone else for a perceived violation of "any software licensed under
Free Software Foundation licenses."  Give me copyright law, please.

....Roy