Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Ramsey Haddad (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <rh...@bloomberg.net> on 2019/03/28 08:59:02 UTC

Intervals vs Span guidance

We are building our needed customizations/extensions on Solr/Lucene 7.7 or 8.0 or later. We are unclear on whether/when to use Intervals vs Span.

We know that Intervals is still maturing (new functionality in 8.0 and probably on-going for a while?)

But what is the overall intention/guidance? "If you need X, then use Spans." "If you need Y, then use Intervals." "After the year 20xy, we expect everyone to be using Intervals." ??

Any opinions valued.

Thanks,
Ramsey.

Re: Intervals vs Span guidance

Posted by Alan Woodward <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ramsey,

My plan is to deprecate Spans and move everybody over to Intervals, which are better defined and easier to extend.  We should be more or less at feature parity now, so if there are things that you can’t do in Intervals that you can in Spans, please open issues for them and I will try and get things implemented.

- Alan