Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com> on 2002/11/15 17:30:03 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTPS?

This may or may not be the right place to post this; I think it is but,
please tell me if not.

I have two IPs on the same NIC.  .13 and .18
.18 (on eth0:1) is reserved for an IP-based virtual domain, which is set up
in the conf listening only on :443.
.13 (on eth0) is everything else.

I have gotten my CRT from Verisign and placed that into the directory where
I want it to be.
I have the cert and key referenced in the conf file.

If I go to http://IP.18, the most recently configured domain on .13 pops up.
If I go to https://IP.18, I get page could not be displayed.

Bummin' and tryin' to figure out what I am missing.  From what I have been
reading, I have done all the right stuff, but, obviously, I am forgetting or
missing *something*  Can somebody point me in the right distraction?
Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
Excellent!  Thank you!
Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
When I look at a list of modules Apache supposedly knows about, mod_ssl is
one of them.  So, now I can't figure out why Apache is being argumentative
about startssl...

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
OK,
So, this big issue now is that one domain is being pointed to the wrong
directory.

Relevant parts of VHosts.conf:

#This one points to another domain
<VirtualHost 206.28.133.18:443>
DocumentRoot /home/securesite/www
ServerName securesite.pshift.com
ServerAdmin jwilliams@pshift.com
ErrorLog logs/ssl-error_log
TransferLog logs/ssl-access_log
SSLEngine on
SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateFile /home/securesite/securesite.pshift.com.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/securesite/securesite.pshift.com.key
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log \
          "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

RewriteEngine On
RewriteOptions inherit
<Directory /home/securesite/www>
    Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
NameVirtualHost 206.28.133.13
#This one works
<VirtualHost 206.28.133.13>
DocumentRoot /home/dinnersdunn/www
ServerName www.dinnersdunn.com
ServerAlias dinnersdunn.com
AliasMatch ^/~([^/]+)(/(.*))? /home/dinnersdunn/users/$1/www/$3
AliasMatch ^/users/([^/]+)(/(.*))? /home/dinnersdunn/users/$1/www/$3
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/dinnersdunn/www/cgi-bin/
LogLevel emerg
LogFormat "combined"
</VirtualHost>

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> > ping has nothing to do with ssl.  Only whether or not the TCP stack is
> alive
> > and the computer can be reached.
>
> But does not the fact that I am pinging securesite (as opposed to one of
the
> other domains on .13) and getting a response from the correct IP indicate
> something good?

No, not really.  Pinging the .18 ip and getting a response only means that
the .18 interface is up and running.  You still have to have something
waiting for a connection.  In this case, you want apache to listen on port
443 for ssl connections.  That's where netstat -an | grep LISTEN comes into
play.  You can also portscan (i use nmap from insecure.org) your server from
another to see what ports are open to connections.

I guess you could think of IP addresses and ports as an office building (the
IP address) and offices (the port).  The mail you send to office 80 goes to

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
> ping has nothing to do with ssl.  Only whether or not the TCP stack is
alive
> and the computer can be reached.

But does not the fact that I am pinging securesite (as opposed to one of the
other domains on .13) and getting a response from the correct IP indicate
something good?

> Sounds like you have some VirtualHost problems if you are getting the .13
> site on .18.

If it helps, I'll post the relevant parts of the VHosts.conf file...  I
honestly don't see anything squirrely, but I'd be happy for more experienced
eyes to show me the light!

> You get something similar to:
>
> usage: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl
> (start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)

Here is where it ends.  I don't get the other lines.

> How are you looking up system information?

Via netcraft.com (What is this system running) and also via apachectl
extendedstatus

> > If I start apache normally (apachectl start), it screams about the first
> > SSL-related line in the SSLed domain directive.
>
> That's because SSL directives aren't valid if you don't have mod_ssl
> running.  Your SSL stuff should be inside <IfDefine SSL></IfDefine>
blocks.

In there is:
LoadModule ssl_module    extramodules/libssl.so
AddModule mod_ssl.c
AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> The SSL is on .18
> If I ping the SSLed domain from that specific machine, I get a reply from
> .18.  This would indicate to me that Apache knows what IP it is supposed
> be on.
> If I ping the SSLed domain from any other machine, I get a reply from .13.

ping has nothing to do with ssl.  Only whether or not the TCP stack is alive
and the computer can be reached.

> If I go to http://ssled domain, I get the most recently added name-based
> virtual domain.
> If I go to https://ssled domain, I get "cannot be found."
> If I go to http://.18, I get the default site on .13.
> If I go to https://.18, I get cannot be found.
> If I go to http://ssled domain:443, I get site cannot be found

Sounds like you have some VirtualHost problems if you are getting the .13
site on .18.

> Anybody else confused yet?
> I type in as root "apachectl startssl", and I get a response for apachectl
> usage, with no option for startssl.

You get something similar to:

usage: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl
(start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)

start      - start httpd
startssl   - start httpd with SSL enabled
(more options)

Correct?

> I look up system information, asking Apache what it knows about, and it
> shows mod_ssl.  This *should* mean that I have access to the startssl
option
> for apachectl, but that blows up.

How are you looking up system information?

> If I start apache normally (apachectl start), it screams about the first
> SSL-related line in the SSLed domain directive.

That's because SSL directives aren't valid if you don't have mod_ssl
running.  Your SSL stuff should be inside <IfDefine SSL></IfDefine> blocks.

> So, at this point, I am wondering if the mod_ssl was correctly added, and
> whether or not Apache *really* knows how to serve up anything on :443.
Can
> anybody confirm?

netstat -an | grep 443;  Do you see anything?  Until you do, apache isn't
listening on port 443, the SSL port.

You MUST have a line that reads before SSL has a chance of working from a
browser:

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
Interestingly enough, when I look through apachectl, I see nothing
about -DSSL anywhere in there.
I see no function for startssl, so, where do I put the code mentioned by
Jacob?

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
Before I start tinkering on a production machine, here's a bit more info:

Here's where it gets weird...
eth0 has IP .13
eth0:1 has IP .18

The SSL is on .18
If I ping the SSLed domain from that specific machine, I get a reply from
.18.  This would indicate to me that Apache knows what IP it is supposed to

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> Does this mean that every time I host a new company with its own SSL, I am
> going to need to install a new copy of Apache for them?  Seems kind of
> odd...

No, that's a bad solution.  You can run as many https sites as you want with
a single apache, as long as each listens on a unique ip.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPS?

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.

Posted by Remo Mattei <re...@italy1.com>.