Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com> on 2005/04/21 22:37:02 UTC

Re: how to filter on invalid local users

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 01:38:01PM -0700, Brian R. Jones wrote:
> I'm looking a way to create a rule that will allow me to filter on
> invalid_user@mydomain.com where invalid_user is anything that isn't in
> my alias or password files.  At the moment the only way I can think of
> doing this is to add an eval rule to EvalTests.pm, but this is obviously
>  not a preferred method.
>
> Anyone have any other suggestions?

1) Don't accept mail for invalid users.

2) Write a plugin. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/PluginWritingTips

Michael

Re: how to filter on invalid local users

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Thursday 21 April 2005 22:45), Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> > 1) Don't accept mail for invalid users.
>
> Well, I often tought about not accepting Mail *FROM* locally-illegal-Users.
> The 'To' is done by the MTA, but the 'From' would be nice also.
> It would drop all the spams faking random local Users as SENDER.

IMHO, SA is not the tool for that. instead of using SA for that purpose, i'd
suggest to generate a list of valid users on the MTA or transfer it to the
MTA.

grant them access in some lookup table
(be it as envelope senders and/or in From: headers)

deny sender access to all_others@your.doma.in.
run some header check if you want to deny them in From: headers also.

in my view, thats more of a topic for a list of users of the MTA of your
choice.

regards,

wolfgang

Re: how to filter on invalid local users

Posted by "Chr. von Stuckrad" <st...@mi.fu-berlin.de>.
On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Michael Parker wrote:
> 1) Don't accept mail for invalid users.

Well, I often tought about not accepting Mail *FROM* locally-illegal-Users.
The 'To' is done by the MTA, but the 'From' would be nice also.
It would drop all the spams faking random local Users as SENDER.

> 2) Write a plugin. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/PluginWritingTips

Sounds complicated, beause I'm not yet using 3.*, sorry....

Stucki

--
Christoph von Stuckrad     * * |nickname |<st...@math.fu-berlin.de>\
Freie Universitaet Berlin  |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(days):+49 30 838-75 459|

Re: how to filter on invalid local users

Posted by "Brian R. Jones" <bj...@castlejones.net>.
Michael Parker wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 01:38:01PM -0700, Brian R. Jones wrote:
>
>>I'm looking a way to create a rule that will allow me to filter on
>>invalid_user@mydomain.com where invalid_user is anything that isn't in
>>my alias or password files.  At the moment the only way I can think of
>>doing this is to add an eval rule to EvalTests.pm, but this is obviously
>> not a preferred method.
>>
>>Anyone have any other suggestions?
>

> 1) Don't accept mail for invalid users.
I don't accept email for invalid users, but if there is at least one
valid user in to To: or Cc: list, I need to accept the mail.  My
thinking is that if there are also many invalid users in the list, then
it's more likely to be spam.

> 2) Write a plugin. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/PluginWritingTips

DOH!, forgot about that.

--