Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> on 2010/12/08 08:40:21 UTC

TOMCAT be in Hung state?

Hi

Spec

a) JDK 1.6

b) 2 Web Server Tomcat 5.0.20 (on same O/s with different Startup /shutdown ports   & share the same  RAM / CPU Processor]

c) O/s Linux Red hat  [ Linux DTVMS1 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Apr 29 14:24:53 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux ]

1.       RHEL AS 4U6

2.       8*2 GB RAM

3.       4 Processors

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m"

Problem: Tomcat is not responding every 45 days
1)      Stops writing  Catalina.out,
2)      Not  responding with  any of the  jsp pages of the Application,
3)      No exceptions raised.

and needs restart  to over come the situation.

 Can any body tell me under what circumstances can a TOMCAT be in Hung state?

with regards

N.S.Karthik

RE: TOMCAT be in Hung state?

Posted by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

>> do you have some scheduled process that deletes the catalina.out every 45
days?

No we do not have any other application doing the same.

>> such as permgenspace out of memory, you will not anything in catalina.out

Since the Catalina.out file is not being generated we do not know if the same has happened. [ There is no Console view on Linux Os/ for Tomcat to validate the same. ]

With regards
karthik

Posted by Daniel Baktiar <db...@gmail.com>.
1) do you have some scheduled process that deletes the catalina.out every 45
days? usually in linux, when logger open a file and some other process
deleted the file, it will not create new file, which i suspect the case in
catalina.out
2)  probably combined with some part of code swallowing fatal error like
such as permgenspace out of memory, you will not anything in catalina.out

---

Re: TOMCAT be in Hung state?

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am Mittwoch, den 08.12.2010, 13:10 +0530 schrieb Karthik Nanjangude:
> Hi
>
> Spec
>
> a) JDK 1.6
>
> b) 2 Web Server Tomcat 5.0.20 (on same O/s with different Startup /shutdown ports   & share the same  RAM / CPU Processor]
>
> c) O/s Linux Red hat  [ Linux DTVMS1 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Apr 29 14:24:53 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux ]
>

> 1.       RHEL AS 4U6
>
> 2.       8*2 GB RAM
>
> 3.       4 Processors
>

> JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m"
That is a low setting compared to the ram of the machines. But if your
application needs only that much, it should be fine.

> Problem: Tomcat is not responding every 45 days
> 1)      Stops writing  Catalina.out,
> 2)      Not  responding with  any of the  jsp pages of the Application,
> 3)      No exceptions raised.
>
> and needs restart  to over come the situation.
>
>  Can any body tell me under what circumstances can a TOMCAT be in Hung state?
You could try yourself by taking threaddumps at such times:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

hth
 Felix