Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com> on 2002/02/14 12:26:07 UTC

Netscape6.1 not displaying text field

Let me preface this email by saying that I don't think this problem is
Struts related, although I am using Struts for this project. I have searched
the archives and have spent the last 12 hours working on this problem. I
feel kind of crappy for posting this especially with the recent "Traffic"
thread, but if any one can help me solve this problem surely someone on this
list can.

Scenario:
One JSP page with a form that has 3 text fields and a submit button. The
form submits the request to XXXXAction where the request is processed, data
is placed in the session, and the output is redirected (not forwarded) back
to the same page. The fields are populated with data and the browser renders
their respective values.

More specifically field1 and field2 are for data entry, and field3 is for
data display. I use <bean:write .../> to pull the data from the session and
display it in field3.

Everything works fine in IE, but in Netscape6.1, field3 does not display its
value, although when I view the source, the value attribute is populated
with the data. No, there are no funky characters in the output and I use
double quotes for all attributes. As a double check I duplicated the
<bean:write ..../>  used to retrieve the value from the session for field3
and moved it outside of an input text field and the value displays as
expected. I then tried rendering the value in a textarea and got the same
behavior as that of field3.

Now, if the data happens to exist in the session (as a result of another
XXXXAction) when the page is displayed, then the data in field3 renders as
expected.

If I copy the the raw HTML from the source to another page, and view it,
then field3 also renders as expected.

I would sure like to know if anyone else has run into this problem or if you
have any ideas.

robert