Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2011/08/02 16:23:57 UTC

Nexus vs rsync-repository releases

Are we still going to deploy Maven artifacts by SCPing to
m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository on people.apache.org?

I've been discussing the permissions issue for the old groupIds on Nexus
with the Infra team (i.e components using the old groupId
commons-<componentname> need a specific configuration on the snapshot
and release repositories).

Brian Demers kindly proposed to allow the deployment of all commons-*
groups on Nexus, but it would require to block the deployment through
people.apache.org to avoid metadata conflicts.

Do we all agree on using exclusively Nexus for our releases?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: Nexus vs rsync-repository releases

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/08/2011 06:36, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> What benefits do we get by using Nexus
>
> A real lot of work saved. (Beleave me. I've been RM for the same
> projects with and without Nexus and it's really a difference.)

I fail to see why this is the case. Tomcat releases to the Maven repos
and to /dist and doesn't go anywhere near Nexus yet is still minimal
effort. An entire release takes 2-3 minutes of actual effort (and about
90 minutes of waiting for stuff to upload).

Mark

Re: Nexus vs rsync-repository releases

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

> I am also worried about a closed tool like Nexus being used to publish
> Apache stuff.
>
> Luc

This is curious, indeed. I always wondered why we use Nexus instead of
"eating our own dog food" Apache Archiva[1], but worried to receive a
reply "why didn't you RTFM on http://xyz..." :P
Have a nice day!!!
Simo

[1] http://archiva.apache.org/

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: Nexus vs rsync-repository releases

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 2, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> I am also worried about a closed tool like Nexus being used to publish Apache stuff.

Nexus is not completely closed. There is a community version that contains 90% of the functionality. That said, I really don't want to go look at the source code for any of the repository managers.

Ralph

Re: Nexus vs rsync-repository releases

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/3/11 9:09 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 09:13, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> I am also worried about a closed tool like Nexus being used to publish
>>> Apache stuff.
>> That discussion was made years ago, when Nexus was introduced. And,
>> for the record, I strongly opposed Nexus at that time in favour of
>> other solutions, in particular Archiva, for that very reason.
> AIUI, Nexus offers a staging facility, which Archiva does not (or did
> not at the time - maybe it does now).
>
> i.e. it allows the artifacts to be uploaded to a public location,
> which can be used for the release vote.

Which we can also do on p.a.o.

> If the vote succeeds, publish the staged repo; if it fails, drop it.
>
> There's no danger of accidentally releasing Maven artifacts that have
> not been voted on (as happened in Commons about a year ago before that
> component used Nexus).

Which only happened because the RM was using the maven release plugin.

Phil

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 August 2011 15:29, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/08/2011 15:23, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Are we still going to deploy Maven artifacts by SCPing to
>> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository on people.apache.org?
>>
>> I've been discussing the permissions issue for the old groupIds on Nexus
>> with the Infra team (i.e components using the old groupId
>> commons-<componentname> need a specific configuration on the snapshot
>> and release repositories).
>>
>> Brian Demers kindly proposed to allow the deployment of all commons-*
>> groups on Nexus, but it would require to block the deployment through
>> people.apache.org to avoid metadata conflicts.
>>
>> Do we all agree on using exclusively Nexus for our releases?
>
> What benefits do we get by using Nexus and what extra hoops do we have
> to jump through to get them compared to just using scp?

The benefits are:
* metadata is automatically updated
* intercepts all uploads, so cannot accidentally deploy to live repo
* automatically checks that signing keys are publicly available
* ensures that the artifacts voted on are the ones actually deployed

Nexus is automatically used if the gid is o.a.commons.

One just has to use "mvn deploy" and the artifacts will be uploaded to
the staging area.

The extra steps that have to be done are:

1) Close the staging repo once all the artifacts have been uploaded.
This makes the staging area visible for release votes.

2a) Publish the staging repo once the release vote has passed. This
allows the artifacts to propagate to Maven Central.

OR

2b) Drop the staged artifacts, and re-roll the release.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 03.08.2011 07:32, schrieb Henri Yandell:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Phil Steitz<ph...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I would prefer to leave the door open to release more point releases
>> of [pool] and [dbcp] 1.x using the working scripts that i have, so
>> pls do not nuke those.  The new versions are in the org.apache
>> groupId tree, so we will have no choice but to use nexus for those.
>>
>> I will have agree to use nexus for the maven repo bits, but prefer
>> to create the actual release artifacts locally, examine them, call a
>> VOTE on them and move the same bits to /dist.  Personally, I would
>> rather see us move back the other way (use the Tomcat setup, with
>> Ant tasks pushing to p.a.o/rysnch), but I can see I am in the
>> minority here, so will not stand in the way.
>
> Well, I'm in the same minority and I'm not aware it's a minority (have
> we taken a vote from those release managing?).
>
> Nexus, Maven release-plugin, they all fire off my keep-it-simple
> warning flags. They mistake magic for simplicity.

I count myself to the same group.

However, for me the most important point is that there is a really
fool-proof description of the release process. Do we already have this
for Nexus?

Oliver

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/3/11 2:14 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 8/3/11 1:37 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

>>> Well, I'm in the same minority and I'm not aware it's a minority (have
>>> we taken a vote from those release managing?).
>> Me too. When maven works, its great - but when it doesn't it makes you
>> want to tear your hair out. The only releases I've done using the
>> release plugin were commons-parent & the build plugin. That was a
>> while ago, but more often than not there were issues.
> Hmm....  Based on comments on this thread, looks like I may not be
> in the minority on this.
>
> I am willing to do the following:
>
> 0) Either a) create an Ant deployment script similar to what Tomcat
> uses [1] or b) create a generic bash script that can be run from
> p.a.o to deploy from ~rm/foo-x.y.x-RCw
> 1) Update the web site docs so we have full and working documentation
>
> Either of the options in 0) require that we move back to publishing
> from ibiblio-rsync from p.a.o (and we have to be able to get this
> reverted - not sure this is even possible at this point, but we
> could ask).  If we decide to start publishing snapshots, we can use
> the same approach for these.

Forgot the link:
[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/res/maven/mvn-pub.xml

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.