Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com> on 2013/07/10 10:17:50 UTC

Make documentation part of new features acceptance criteria?

I'm not sure if there's already a guideline like this, but I wouldn't it make sense to have it in order to keep documentation in sync with the code?
Also, having this type of documentation as part of the codebase to allow proper versioning might be a good idea as well.

Cosmin

Re: Make documentation part of new features acceptance criteria?

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Cosmin,

That's a good idea. In the past, for major new features, we tend to create
a wiki page to outline the design. The wiki pages can be organized better.
Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Sriram Subramanian <sr...@linkedin.com>.
I must say that the HBASE site is just awesome! They even have multi
language support for documentation.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Cool, let's do that then.

Posted by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of improving our documentation. Help is very much
appreciated in this area (but of course the problem is that the people who
experience the holes almost by definition can't fill them in). So even just
pointing out areas that aren't covered is really helpful.

We are in a sort of awkward stage this week because we have a 0.8 beta
release but no detailed docs on its internals.

WRT your specific proposals. I don't think we should do the documentation
with each feature because I think that tends to lead to a bunch of little
documents one for each change. I think we effectively get this out of
JIRA+wiki today. This usually serves as a fairly complete design doc +
commentary be others. It is pretty hard to get information out of this
format for a new user, though.

We do version control documentation but we can't physically version control
it with the code because the code is in git and Apache only allows SVN as a