Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2016/11/04 22:43:37 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Hi,

Here is a vote on a release of Jena 3.1.1
(with Fuseki 2.4.1 and Fuseki 1.4.1).

This is the second proposed candidate for this release.

** My signing key has changed - to verify, use the key in   **
** https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/dist/KEYS          **
** for andy@apache.org.                                     **

* Dependency changes:

New module:
     jena-fuseki2/jena-fuseki-embedded

Updates:
       com.github.jsonld-java:jsonld-java      0.7.0 -> 0.8.3

       org.apache.httpcomponents:httpClient    4.2.6 -> 4.5.2
       org.apache.httpcomponents:httpCache     4.2.6 -> 4.5.2
       org.apache.httpcomponents:httpCore      4.2.5 -> 4.4.4

       com.jayway.awaitility:awaitility        1.6.4 -> 1.7.0
       com.spatial4j:spatial4j                 0.4.1 -> 0.5
       org.slf4j:*                             1.7.20 -> 1.7.21
       commons-codec:commons-codec             1.9 -> 1.10
       org.apache.commons:commons-collections4 4.0 -> 4.1
       org.apache.commons:commons-csv          1.0 -> 1.3
       org.apache.commons:commons-lang3        3.3.2 -> 3.4
       org.apache.thrift:libthrift             0.9.2 -> 0.9.3
       org.apache.mrunit:mrunit                1.0.0 -> 1.1.0
       com.github.rvesse:airline               2.1.0 -> 2.1.1

Key features of the release:

* Improve JSON-LD output
      JENA-1208 - Fran�ois-Paul Servant
http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/io/rdf-output.html#json-ld

* Completed F&O XPath3 functions
       JENA-508 - Alessandro Seganti

* ComplexPhraseQueryParser
      JENA-1180 - Andrew Dolby

* Additional vocabularies (DCAT, VoID, ROV, ORG)
       JENA-1206 - Bart Hanssens

* Improvement to the Fuseki service script for RHEL/Centos 6.
       JENA-1219 - Dan Pritts

* ORDER BY now cancelable.

* Txn : a highlevel API for working with transactions
http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/txn/txn.html

* Embedded Fuseki
http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/fuseki2/fuseki-embedded.html

* Property path speed ups (JENA-1195)

* Upgrade to Apache HttpClient v4.3 API
      => auth changes cause API changes.

Everyone, not just committers, is invited to test and vote.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejena-1015/

Proposed dist/ area:
      https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/jena/

Keys:
      https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/dist/KEYS
      ** NB signing key has changed.

Git commit (browser URL):
      https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/commit/f7b3c416

Git Commit Hash:
      f7b3c416328bba4b8044e4ea8ad80e09ac51d720

Git Commit Tag:
      jena-3.1.1-rc2

Please vote to approve this release:

      [ ] +1 Approve the release
      [ ]  0 Don't care
      [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

This vote will be open to at least

      Monday, 7 Nov 2016, 23:59 UTC

If you expect to check the release but the 72 hour limit does not work
for you, please email within the schedule above with an expected time
and we can extend the vote period.

Thanks,

      Andy

Checking needed:

+ does everything work on Linux?
+ does everything work on MS Windows?
+ does everything work on OS X?
+ are the GPG signatures fine?
+ are the checksums correct?
+ is there a source archive?
+ can the source archive really be built?
+ is there a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file in each artifact
        (both source and binary artifacts)?
+ does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?
+ have any licenses of dependencies changed due to upgrades?
         if so have LICENSE and NOTICE been upgraded appropriately?
+ does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
As one of the people who was responsible for the HTTP Commons -based changes, I agree with Dave here. I should have a chance to do test builds sometime this evening.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

 > + does everything work on Linux?

Build passed on Ubunbu 16.04, OpenJDK 1.8.

 > + are the GPG signatures fine?

Validated with new key correctly.

 > + are the checksums correct?

Yes.

 > + is there a source archive?

Yes.

 > + can the source archive really be built?

Yes, clean build from source archive.

 > + is there a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file in each artifact
 >        (both source and binary artifacts)?
 > + does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?
 > + have any licenses of dependencies changed due to upgrades?
 >         if so have LICENSE and NOTICE been upgraded appropriately?

No problem spotted.

 > + does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Tag matches the source archive.

Non-vote comment: in retrospect the changes to HttpClient possibly
warrant calling this 3.2 but I don't see that as a reason to hold up the
release.

Dave

Re: [] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
I am unable to build due to Elephas issue.  Probably due to underpowered
build system.  Perhaps we should figure out what the minimum build system
needs to be.  I'll try this evening without running elephas tests.

+0

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
+1

Was able to build with -DskipTests for elephas.

Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.4.0-45)
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-8u111-b14-2ubuntu0.16.04.2-b14)

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
My apologies for finding this so late. As you will know, Commons RDF
has just recently moved into preparing a release candidate that
includes Jena support, which I originally had prepared using Jena
3.1.0. As that RC was dropped for other reasons, I thought I could
have a go at using the next Jena 3.1.1 as dependency.

I don't have much time to try out Jena while it's under development,
as building Jena takes a very long time, also I didn't consider the
SNAPSHOTs earlier as we didn't require what was new.

BTW - I changed my vote to -0 as I don't think you need to block the
release for this, but wanted to report what I got.   As RM you can of
course take it or leave it :)

On 7 November 2016 at 13:56, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 07/11/16 00:05, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>>
>> I'm afraid my vote is:
>>
>> -1 (non-binding)
>>
>> because of broken initializers and confusing LICENSE in source archive.
>

>> - repository JARs/POMs; broken initializers?
>

> IMO A single problem is not grounds for redoing a release.  Just look at
> JIRA.
>
> What is more, 3.1.1 has been signalled for over 2 months. If you could test
> against development snapshots much earlier in the cycle that would be
> helpful and then raise issues before the RM invests time in the release
> process.
>
>> Another thing, LICENSE file of jena-3.1.1-source-release.zip says
>>

>>> The following files contain code contributed by Plugged In Software:
>>>
>>> src/main/java/org/apache/jena/rdf/arp/ExtendedHandler.java
>>> src/main/java/org/apache/jena/rdf/arp/impl/XMLHandler.java

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Paul Houle <pa...@ontology2.com>.
At some point there just has to be a 3.1.1.  Jena's release cycle is
already too slow.

--
  Paul Houle
  paul.houle@ontology2.com

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Raised
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-1258

Proposed fix:
https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/189

On 7 November 2016 at 00:29, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Jar:slf4j-api, Jar:commons-lang3, Jar:org.osgi.core,
>>> Jar:slf4j-log4j12, Jar:log4j]
>>> [WARNING] Bundle org.apache.jena:jena-osgi:bundle:3.1.1 : Unused
>>> Import-Package instructions: [org.apache.xml.*]
>>>

>>> Another thing, LICENSE file of jena-3.1.1-source-release.zip says

>>> but the correct file paths are presumably these under jena-core/ and
>>> in different packages:
>>>
>>> jena-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jena/rdfxml/xmlinput/ExtendedHandler.java
>>> jena-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jena/rdfxml/xmlinput/impl/XMLHandler.java
>>> jena-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jena/rdfxml/xmlinput/ARP.java
>>>
>>> I wonder why these files have BOTH the Apache license and BSD
>>> license.. particularly with the confusing "see end of line for BSD
>>> license" comment at the top. I presume this means they also include
>>> substantial ASF contributions (beyond adding a header) as otherwise
>>> the policy normally is to leave the file at its original license? Why
>>> is the BSD license at the end?
>>>
>>> This is not a showstopper for this RC as the files (which have the
>>> same filename, just wrong path) also include the BSD license text,
>>> just some paths to fix for later.
>>>

>>> However I am not to keen with the very end of the LICENSE file:

>>> This sounds wrong to me.  What is it that is (c) 2004-2009 Mort Bay?
>>> And where is the Eclipse Public License "which accompanies this
>>> distribution"? Why is the Apache license linked to at
>>> www.opensource.org rather than the text above in the file or the
>>> canonical www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0?  Also if it is here
>>> used only under the Apache license, why do we also say that "this
>>> program" (Jena?) is under Eclipse Public License, when presumably only
>>> some of the files are?
>>>

>>> Related in NOTICE:

>>> I guess no need to list all the years, 2011-2016 and 2001-2009 would suffice.

>>> Was this originally in NOTICE pre Apache? It should not need to be
>>> listed in NOTICE as well - particularly as "includes software" is
>>> all-inclusive - if it's just those three files then without noting
>>> that, these notice line has to be propagated by downstream even when
>>> they are irrelevant.
>>>

>>> Just another plea for a bit of Semantic Versioning.. http://semver.org/
>>>

>>> I ran japicmp on jena-core, which highlights these potential breaking
>>> changes from 3.1.0:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/stain/175df0c62d6cac451d35ab11f90a7ab6
>>>
>>> Do we have a changelog for these..?  (Ignoring impls)
>>>
>>> I would have called this version 3.2.0 instead - I remember several
>>> times when a "patch" update of Jena has lots of big changes in other
>>> code; I guess after 6 months of hard work we can't aim for patch
>>> compatibility anymore so it's just fair to go for 3.2.0 even if
>>> there's nothing new politically.
>>>

>>> For archival purposes, these are the sha1sums from dist 16841 which I
>>> assume are the ones that are candidates of this vote.
>>>
>>> 153605cbfc13f399cb362bec59fee1d08b640e67  source/jena-3.1.1-source-release.zip
>>> 57a2b65ddcc01d386d09dceaf576188f49c66fe0  binaries/apache-jena-3.1.1.zip
>>> 45015ea71a312d92a0b23a454b36aed8ea46e3e2  binaries/apache-jena-fuseki-2.4.1.zip
>>> 3adcaf35eb0d9be850cfa2f9e4fae7e5db6ac9b6
>>> binaries/jena-fuseki1-1.4.1-distribution.zip
>>> a47ede6aad31cde586f33a0b22389bff91257543  binaries/apache-jena-3.1.1.tar.gz
>>> d9d73ef66eaec85af1f7939aaa79bf8546a0a493
>>> binaries/apache-jena-fuseki-2.4.1.tar.gz
>>> 70bf6c6ed2534da9b13a979cdeb5caf557552d68

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
+1

Build passing on:

Apache Maven 3.3.9 (bb52d8502b132ec0a5a3f4c09453c07478323dc5; 2015-11-11T05:41:47+13:00)
Maven home: /opt/maven
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre
Default locale: en_NZ, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-45-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

>+ does everything work on Linux?

OK

>+ are the GPG signatures fine?
>+ are the checksums correct?

Key looks good, imported locally. Checked artefacts with gpg --verify, everything looks OK.

>+ does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?

Looks OK to me.

>+ does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Yup, built from git commit

Cheers
Bruno

Posted by Osma Suominen <os...@helsinki.fi>.
+1

Built successfully on Linux.

The Elephas I/O build takes about 60% of the total build time.

-Osma

On 05/11/16 00:43, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> [...]
> for you, please email within the schedule above with an expected time
> and we can extend the vote period.
>
> Thanks,
>
>       Andy
>
> Checking needed:
>
> + does everything work on Linux?
> + does everything work on MS Windows?
> + does everything work on OS X?
> + are the GPG signatures fine?
> + are the checksums correct?
> + is there a source archive?
> + can the source archive really be built?
> + is there a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file in each artifact
>         (both source and binary artifacts)?
> + does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?
> + have any licenses of dependencies changed due to upgrades?
>          if so have LICENSE and NOTICE been upgraded appropriately?
> + does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Osma Suominen
D.Sc. (Tech), Information Systems Specialist
National Library of Finland
P.O. Box 26 (Kaikukatu 4)
00014 HELSINGIN YLIOPISTO
Tel. +358 50 3199529
osma.suominen@helsinki.fi
http://www.nationallibrary.fi

Re: [] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
It happens on the Jenkins server as well - it seems to be when the slave
is slow (i.e. another big product is building on it).

Is there an hs_err file?
There are no System.exit calls jena-elpahas-mapreduce itself.

Surefire FAQ:
http://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/faq.html#vm-termination

It is not a test failure in Jena code - its maven failure.

Your system may be the factor.  It is not possible to produce the
release with the maven release plug-in unless all the tests pass.
(Twice, once for release:prepare,once for release:perform).

e.g.
https://builds.apache.org/user/andy/my-views/view/Jena/job/Jena_Development_Test/2539/consoleFull

     Andy

There does seem to be something odd about the elephas tests - there are
8 suites that take over a minute, the machine seems to be idle whereas
other suites are a few seconds.  Some internal timeout which may be related.

oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.output.trig.BatchedTriGOutputTest
   67.332 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.trix.TriXAsQuadsInputTest
   70.159 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.trix.TriXInputTest
   70.116 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.GZippedJsonLDQuadInputTest
   61.044 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.GZippedJsonLDTripleInputTest
   60.877 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.DeflatedJsonLDTripleInputTest
   60.739 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.BZippedJsonLDQuadInputTest
   63.501 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.BZippedJsonLDTripleInputTest
   61.149 sec
oaj.hadoop.rdf.io.input.compressed.jsonld.DeflatedJsonLDQuadInputTest
   60.849 sec

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
+1

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache jena 3.1.1 (2nd)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
The VOTE on Jena 3.1.1.passes:

+1 (binding) from Osma, Bruno, Dave, Claude, Andy
-0 from Stian

I'll proceed with the next steps:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JENA/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-MakingaRelease

Thanks everyone