Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/02/08 13:32:45 UTC

Can serialized objects in columns serve as ersatz superCFs?

Seeing that discussion here about indexes not supported in superCFs, and less
than clear future of superCFs altogether, I was thinking about getting a
modicum of same functionality with serialized objects inside columns. This
way the column key becomes sort of analog of supercolumn key, and I handle
the dictionaries I receive in the client.

Does this sound OK?

Re: Can serialized objects in columns serve as ersatz superCFs?

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Thanks for the comment! In my case, I want to store various time slices as
indexes, so the content can be serialized as comma-separated concatenation
of unique object IDs. Example: on 20101204, multiple clouds experienced a
variety of errors in job execution. In addition, multiple users ran (or
failed) on different clouds. If I combine user id, cloud id and error code,
I can relatively easily drill for errors on a particular date. So each CF
maps to a date, and each column in it is a compound index.

Re: Can serialized objects in columns serve as ersatz superCFs?

Posted by Dave Revell <da...@meebo-inc.com>.
Yes, this works well for me. I have no SCFs but many columns contain JSON.

Depending on your time/space/compatibility tradeoffs you can obviously pick
you own serialization method.

Best,
Dave
On Feb 8, 2011 4:33 AM, "buddhasystem" <po...@bnl.gov> wrote:

> Seeing that discussion here about indexes not supported in superCFs, and
less
> than clear future of superCFs altogether, I was thinking about getting a
> modicum of same functionality with serialized objects inside columns. This
> way the column key becomes sort of analog of supercolumn key, and I handle
> the dictionaries I receive in the client.
>
> Does this sound OK?

Nabble.com.