Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/08 04:58:35 UTC

API Question

Hi all

So now I'm bugging you not from the incubator, but as a potential user :-)

I noticed within usergrid you have some form of push/websocket support.  I
am looking to deploy something to the cloud, with client consumers within
private networks (with external internet access).  I was hoping to use
websockets to power pushing between these remote clients as they'll be
exchanging data with one another.  It is a point to point type of
communication, so instead of generally "following" one client, I need to
specifically say who can follow who and what data is meant to go to that
client.  It seems though like there are some gaps with push support,
specifically if I look at [1] I notice you're using a custom websocket
transport layer over netty; but I'm not sure that it's quite finished.

Honestly, I was hoping to leverage Servlet 3.1 runtimes, e.g. Undertow,
Tomcat 8 or the like for websockets.  While netty's fast it ends up
requiring a second port over what you've already deployed to Tomcat.  Is
any of this possible?

John

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-usergrid/tree/master/stack/websocket