Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com> on 2008/09/09 23:55:52 UTC

Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

We recently upgraded our server from 2.0.2 to 2.1.2, as well as the Eclipse
plugin.  One project in our application is a WTP Utility Project, and it no
longer works.  When I attempted to create a new utility project to replace
it, I was unable to attach the new project to the installed Geronimo runtime
(the list of available runtimes in the project wizard was blank.)  No error
messages anywhere to give me any clue as to why.  At this point I went and
edited the fact xml file for the original project directly to point to the
correct runtime, etc., but Eclipse gives an error: "Project facet Utility
Module is not supported by target runtime Apache Geronimo v2.1"  The only
info I could find about this was an old JIRA from the 1.0 days.  Is this a
bug, or is something wrong with my configuration?

I'm using the latest release version (2.1.2) of the Eclipse plugin,
installed by dumping into the dropins directory.  We're using the Eclipse
3.4 release.

Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Actually no need for a new JIRA, I'll just reopen the original JIRA....

Tim McConnell wrote:
> Hi Kory, yes please open a JIRA and I'll fix it today.....
>
> Kory Markevich wrote:
>> Well, Eclipse assists by having utility projects.  From the WTP
>> documentation:
>>

>> An enterprise application can contain utility JAR files that are to be
>> used
>> by the contained modules. This allows sharing of code at the application
>> level by multiple Web, EJB, or application client modules. These JAR
>> files
>> are commonly referred to as utility JAR files. The utility JAR files
>> defined
>> for an enterprise application project can be actual JAR files in the
>> project, or you can include utility Java projects that are designated to
>> become the utility JAR files during assembly and deployment.
>>
>> So it sounds to me that having the geronimo-service.xml in such
>> projects in
>> the first place was a mistake, as these projects are not meant to be
>> deployed by themselves.  I don't think the JIRA Tim mentioned should have
>> removed support for utility projects altogether, just
>> geronimo-service.xml. Now I know that geronimo has it's own robust
>> module support, but since
>> that's not exposed to Eclipse directly I'd like to use utility
>> projects. Should I create a JIRA to get this support back in?
>>

>> djencks wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know how eclipse assists with this but you can include
>>> configuration for gbeans in any kind of geronimo plan, including
>>> that  for ears (geronimo-application.xml or external plan), ejb
>>> modules  (openejb-jar.xml), or web modules (geronimo-web.xml).
>>> META-INF/ geronimo-service.xml would only get detected if you were
>>> deploying a  jar directly not as a javaee application.
>>>
>>> Generally gbean config is at the end of the plan after all the
>>> javaee  stuff.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> david jencks

Tim McConnell

Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.
Turns out due to a bug in WTP I couldn't go to the J2EE Dependencies page,
which meant I couldn't add the project to the classpath correctly.  I've
since worked around the WTP bug and all is well.  Thanks again for the quick
turnaround with this.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kory, are you using the Eclipse all-in-one bundle (e.g.,
eclipse-jee-ganymede-win32.zip for windows) ?? I ask since I'm not seeing what
you are. When I add a new utility and then add it to an EAR project it shows up
fine in Eclipse in the EAR's "Bundled Libraries" files (either under /lib or not
depending on how I specify in the EAR's Java EE Project Module Dependencies). It
exports fine as well, which sounds like that is working fine for you. Also, when
I select the Java EE Project Module Dependencies for one of my project not
included in the EAR I get this message: "Selected module is not referenced by any
EAR or Dynamic Web modules.", which makes sense since it's not. In both cases I'm
getting the expected results, whereas you are not. Are you getting in error in
your .log file in the .metadata directory of your workspace ??

Kory Markevich wrote:
> Should we move this into the JIRA?
>
> I was able to create the Utility Project successfully.  If I export the EAR,
> then Eclipse bundles it correctly into the EAR file (whether it is put into
> the root or the lib directory depends on a setting in the EAR's project.)
> However inside Eclipse the contents of the project are not being found.
> Specifically, the project does not appear in the WTP's "EAR Libraries"
> classpath container.
>
> Here's the confusing part.  We have 3 utility projects (I hadn't noticed
> these before) that were working in 2.0.2 and are still working in 2.1.2.  I
> tried everything I could think of comparing these (which work fine) to the
> one I created above (which doesn't work) and manually modifying files
> outside of Eclipse, etc..  I couldn't get the new one to work no matter what
> I did.  I even cloned one of the working projects, changed it's name, and it
> wouldn't work.  I'll look into this more tomorrow, hopefully something will
> come to me in the meantime.
>
> I did notice that going to the "Java EE Module Dependencies" page in the
> properties of any project other than the EAR project (including EJB, WEB and
> utility projects) would give a "Could not accept changes" "The currently
> displayed page contains invalid values" error message.  Not sure if this is
> new or not.
>

> Tim McConnell-2 wrote:
>> Hi Kory, sorry for the misunderstanding. I though you were actually using
>> the
>> geronimo-service.xml file, when you were in fact just using Java EE
>> Utility
>> projects. So obviously we erroneously removed support for utility projects
>> having
>> Geronimo as a target runtime when we removed support for
>> geronimo-service.xml
>> files (via GERONIMODEVTOOLS-356). This support has been added back. Would
>> you be
>> able to test it out to ensure it works now for you ?? I've placed the zip
>> on our
>> unstable site, but you'll have to uninstall your current GEP before
>> unzipping it
>> into your current installation. Or better yet, you might want to test it
>> with a
>> new Eclipse installation so we don't adversely impact you yet again.
>> Thanks much
>> for you help and patience.

Tim McConnell

Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

----->
http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/2.1.3/geronimo-eclipse-plugin-2.1.3-deployable.zip

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.
Done, and thanks.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Kory Markevich wrote:
> Well, Eclipse assists by having utility projects.  From the WTP
> documentation:
>

> An enterprise application can contain utility JAR files that are to be used
> by the contained modules. This allows sharing of code at the application
> level by multiple Web, EJB, or application client modules. These JAR files
> are commonly referred to as utility JAR files. The utility JAR files defined
> for an enterprise application project can be actual JAR files in the
> project, or you can include utility Java projects that are designated to
> become the utility JAR files during assembly and deployment.
>
> So it sounds to me that having the geronimo-service.xml in such projects in
> the first place was a mistake, as these projects are not meant to be
> deployed by themselves.  I don't think the JIRA Tim mentioned should have
> removed support for utility projects altogether, just geronimo-service.xml.
> Now I know that geronimo has it's own robust module support, but since
> that's not exposed to Eclipse directly I'd like to use utility projects.
> Should I create a JIRA to get this support back in?
>

> djencks wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how eclipse assists with this but you can include
>> configuration for gbeans in any kind of geronimo plan, including that
>> for ears (geronimo-application.xml or external plan), ejb modules
>> (openejb-jar.xml), or web modules (geronimo-web.xml).  META-INF/
>> geronimo-service.xml would only get detected if you were deploying a
>> jar directly not as a javaee application.
>>
>> Generally gbean config is at the end of the plan after all the javaee
>> stuff.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks

Tim McConnell

Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.
Sure.  Basically you can include static jars in any web/connector/application
project, but that means that if you need to modify the code in that jar you
need to go through a manual compile and update step.  So instead of using a
static jar you create a utility project and reference that in any other
project that would have used the jar.  When Eclipse does it's automatic
compiling and publishing, the contents of the utility project become a jar
in the war/ear/rar as desired.

I can't tell you the exact way it bundles everything into the EAR though as
the only server I have installed is geronimo.

So my plan was to use a utility project for the custom login module code,
and to put the gbean specific stuff in the geronimo-application.xml.  I
think I can workaround this by putting the code into an EJB project, but
it's not as clean as there will be extra EJB baggage involved.

Going back to my last message, I don't think WTP has a concept to map to
geronimo-service (though I'm no WTP expert) while utility projects are
really just the Eclipse way to organize non-static jar's for an ear/war.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Kory Markevich wrote:

> Well, Eclipse assists by having utility projects.  From the WTP
> documentation:
>

> An enterprise application can contain utility JAR files that are to
> be used
> by the contained modules. This allows sharing of code at the
> application
> level by multiple Web, EJB, or application client modules. These JAR
> files
> are commonly referred to as utility JAR files. The utility JAR files
> defined
> for an enterprise application project can be actual JAR files in the
> project, or you can include utility Java projects that are
> designated to
> become the utility JAR files during assembly and deployment.

Do you have any idea what that means in non-eclipse-speak?  To me it
means nothing :-(

in ee-land, you can have jars in an ear that are in the classpath of
everything in the ear (typically by putting them in the lib/ dir of
the ear).  Does this have anything to do with eclipse utility jars?

> So it sounds to me that having the geronimo-service.xml in such
> projects in
> the first place was a mistake, as these projects are not meant to be
> deployed by themselves.  I don't think the JIRA Tim mentioned should
> have
> removed support for utility projects altogether, just geronimo-
> service.xml.
> Now I know that geronimo has it's own robust module support, but since
> that's not exposed to Eclipse directly I'd like to use utility
> projects.
> Should I create a JIRA to get this support back in?

I'd prefer to understand what is meant by a utility module better
before saying anything.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kory, Now I understand. It didn't occur to me that you were generating a
geronimo-service.xml file. We removed support for that geronimo deployment plan
since the GEP didn't do anything with it once it was generated. Were you actually
using the geronimo-service.xml file for something or just generating it ?? I

-----> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-356

Kory Markevich wrote:
> Unfortunately there is none.  In the normal case, the option is simply not
> available in the GUI.  The error message I received after modifying the XML
> files manually appears in the Problems view, not the error log.
>
> I don't have the original project anymore as I edited one of the XML files
> manually.  It was however dirt simple, which is why I'm fine with simply
> starting over.  It was just a Utility project with one source file, and only
> one dependency in the geronimo-service.xml file.  It should be easy to
> recreate this case, simply take a 3.4 install with a 2.1.2 server, and try
> to create a Java EE->Utility Project while choosing the 2.1.2 runtime in the
> Target Runtime field.  In my case the runtime isn't even listed, whereas
> previously (Eclipse 3.4M6, 2.0.2 server) it worked as expected.
>

> Tim McConnell-2 wrote:
>> Hi Kory, your configuration sounds fine to me. Could you attach your .log
>> file
>> from the workspace .metadata directory so I can hopefully get more
>> information
>> about the failure ?? Also, would it be possible to export your old WTP
>> Utility
>> Project and email it to me (or attach it if it's not very large) ?? Thanks
>> much
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Tim McConnell

Tim McConnell

Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2

Posted by Kory Markevich <Ko...@ACL.com>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Kory Markevich wrote:
> We recently upgraded our server from 2.0.2 to 2.1.2, as well as the Eclipse
> plugin.  One project in our application is a WTP Utility Project, and it no
> longer works.  When I attempted to create a new utility project to replace
> it, I was unable to attach the new project to the installed Geronimo runtime
> (the list of available runtimes in the project wizard was blank.)  No error
> messages anywhere to give me any clue as to why.  At this point I went and
> edited the fact xml file for the original project directly to point to the
> correct runtime, etc., but Eclipse gives an error: "Project facet Utility
> Module is not supported by target runtime Apache Geronimo v2.1"  The only
> info I could find about this was an old JIRA from the 1.0 days.  Is this a
> bug, or is something wrong with my configuration?
>
> I'm using the latest release version (2.1.2) of the Eclipse plugin,
> installed by dumping into the dropins directory.  We're using the Eclipse
> 3.4 release.

Tim McConnell