Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matt Bullock <mb...@root9.com> on 2007/11/24 01:17:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Redirect to HTTPS using Load Balancer/SSL Offload

I was hoping someone could help me with a redirect problem.  We are
using a load balancer in front of our apache22 servers that also
provides SSL offloading.  Apache only runs on port 80, and doesn't know
anything about 443.  When a client asks for a specific page, I want to
redirect them to the secure equivalent.  Here is the current rule I am
using, along with the rewrite log error:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/dir1/dir2/file1\.php$
RewriteRule ^.*$ https://www.doman.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:15:50:57 --0800]
[www.doman.com/sid#5555557f0ec8][rid#55555618f7f8/initial] (2)
explicitly forcing redirect with
https://www.doman.com/dir1/dir2/file1.php
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:15:50:57 --0800]
[www.doman.com/sid#5555557f0ec8][rid#55555618f7f8/initial] (1) escaping
https://www.doman.com/dir1/dir2/file1.php for redirect
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:15:50:57 --0800]
[www.doman.com/sid#5555557f0ec8][rid#55555618f7f8/initial] (1) redirect
to https://www.doman.com/dir1/dir2/file1.php [REDIRECT/301]
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:15:50:58 --0800]
[www.doman.com/sid#5555557f0ec8][rid#555555f3a3c8/initial] (2) init
rewrite engine with requested uri /dir1/dir2/file1.php
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:15:50:58 --0800]
[www.doman.com/sid#5555557f0ec8][rid#555555f3a3c8/initial] (2) rewrite
'/dir1/dir2/file1.php' -> 'https://www.doman.com/dir1/dir2/file1.php'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

[users@httpd] Re: Re[users@httpd] direct to HTTPS using Load Balancer/SSL Offload

Posted by Silmas <si...@hotmail.com>.
Indeed, just my 2 cents since I've had the similar issue - I wanted to
redirect all http traffic to https:

My loadbalancer forwards http traffic to Apache on port 80.
SSL accelerator forwards decrypted https traffic to Apache on port 81.

Apache is listening on both 80 and 81:

Listen 80
Listen 81

My first attempt was to use the following mod_rewrite rule:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond % {SERVER_PORT} ^80$
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https:/%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L,R]

However for some reason, SERVER_PORT always matched, even when traffic came
through port 81. Adding %p (%...p The canonical port of the server serving
the request ) for the log as such

LogFormat %p Combined
CustomLog log/access_log combined

revealed only port 80 in the log for all traffic, even when traffic came in
on port 81. This was quite confusing, or it's just me not fully
understanding of Apache's internal work.

My solution was as suggested, setup two virtual hosts as such:

<VirtualHost *:80>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/*(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L,R]
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:81>
#...do some other stuff here
</VirtualHost>

Tada.

Re: [users@httpd] Redirect to HTTPS using Load Balancer/SSL Offload

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Nov 23, 2007, at 10:06 PM, Matt Bullock wrote:

> I was hoping there would be a way to let apache know the url being
> requested was "https://...".  Here is a log when I  navigate to a
> https
> page:

There is.  Here's what you do:

Set up two virtual hosts.  One to catch unencrypted port 80 traffic,
the other one to catch offloaded traffic from the LB on a different
port (could be 81, but not 80).

The port 80 virtualhost gets the Redirect rule.

The port 81 virtualhost does NOT get the Redirect rule.

This way you separate traffic between unencrypted and SSL (decrypted
by the Barracuda).

If your "ssl" virtual host needs to construct redirects to itself,
you might tell it:

ServerName https://your.host.name:443

which makes every module or back-end that obtains the request
"scheme" by running the ap_hook_scheme handler chain do the right
thing.  This works as of httpd 2.2.3.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: [users@httpd] Redirect to HTTPS using Load Balancer/SSL Offload

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 24, 2007 7:06 AM, Matt Bullock <mb...@root9.com> wrote:

> The logs show the correct url, so all I need is to somehow let apache
> know not to rewrite if this is the case -

Indeed apache needs more info.
Either you need to find out if your loadbalancer can set extra headers
on https requests. Alternatively you could do the following:
Have apache listen to two ports, eg on 80 and 81. Have your
loadbalancer redirect http to port 80, and https to port 81. That way
apache will be able to distinguish between requests that are allready
encrypted, and requests that aren't.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

RE: [users@httpd] Redirect to HTTPS using Load Balancer/SSL Offload

Posted by Matt Bullock <mb...@root9.com>.
I was hoping there would be a way to let apache know the url being
requested was "https://...".  Here is a log when I  navigate to a https
page:

75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:21:47:51 --0800]
[www.domain.com/sid#5555557f2f90][rid#555555a1c188/initial] (2)
explicitly forcing redirect with
https://www.domain.com/scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:21:47:51 --0800]
[www.domain.com/sid#5555557f2f90][rid#555555a1c188/initial] (1) escaping
https://www.domain.com/scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php for redirect
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:21:47:51 --0800]
[www.domain.com/sid#5555557f2f90][rid#555555a1c188/initial] (1) redirect
to https://www.feedisclosure.com/scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php
[REDIRECT/301]
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:21:47:51 --0800]
[www.domain.com/sid#5555557f2f90][rid#555555a1e198/initial] (2) init
rewrite engine with requested uri /scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php
75.83.2.48 - - [23/Nov/2007:21:47:51 --0800]
[www.domain.com/sid#5555557f2f90][rid#555555a1e198/initial] (2) rewrite
'/scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php' ->
'https://www.domain.com/scripts/vendor/membership_renew.php'

The logs show the correct url, so all I need is to somehow let apache
know not to rewrite if this is the case -

RewriteCond !=https://www???
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/scripts/vendor/new_fmpackage\.php$
RewriteRule ^.*$ https://www.domain.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

I don't know how to create a rule that checks if it has already been
rewritten.

Matt

Posted by "Brian A. Seklecki" <la...@spiritual-machines.org>.

Posted by "Brian A. Seklecki" <la...@spiritual-machines.org>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Bullock <mb...@root9.com>.

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 24, 2007 1:17 AM, Matt Bullock <mb...@root9.com> wrote:
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could you tell us what your problem is? According to the rewritelog
excerpt you gave us that server is doing exactly what you told it to
do, redirecting clients requesting /dir1/dir2/file.php to the https
site. This is what you want, isn't it?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com