Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2018/04/26 05:45:05 UTC

Extention License information on the webinterface

Hi all,

I wonder if we could fuel the Extention information presented on the
website from the Information provided in the Extention itself.
In addition we store only rateings from users to the extention.

Is this a possible vision?
Where are the cave eats for this?

Thanks.
All the best
Peter

Re: Extention License information on the webinterface

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 04/27/2018 07:27 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> But showing the license info would be useful and probably feasible.

An issue I've run into, for both the LibO extension and template
repositories, is that the license on the description page, and the
license in the template/extension are completely different.
(In one instance, the description page claimed GPL 3.0, but the license
within the extension was _your rights removed_.)

In other instances, the description page implies, if not outright claims
it is gratis, but the extension/template itself lays out a fee schedule,
with no classes being gratis.

Licensing information, and cost would be useful additions, provided they
are accurate. (I don't expect an extension whose price is demarcated in
Euro's to have a dollar equivalent, or vice-versus.)
On second thoughts, listing the cost would have to be run past Apache
Legal, to ensure GDPR compliance, among other things.

jonathon

Re: Extention License information on the webinterface

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Peter Kovacs wrote:> Currently you have to download the extention in
order to see the license.
> With OO 3.3 I have seen that you have to add the license in the extention description.

You have to distinguish between an extension and a release. The same
extension can have different releases with different licenses (like,
some extensions released as "GPLv2 or later" became "GPLv3 or later"
once GPLv3 was published).

Example of an extension page (the Italian dictionary I maintain):
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/italian-dictionary-thesaurus-hyphenation-patterns

(note: there seems to be a bug; the page used to contain download
statistics but they are not shown now; this is possibly due to the new
SourceForge counters)

Example of a release page (here is where license info would go):
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/projectrelease/italian-dictionary-thesaurus-hyphenation-patterns-20160210

> I wonder if we can read the extention description and use that for the extention page.
> It could help to clarify the user before downloading which condition he is expecting to agree to.
> Plus we could maybe add search functionality based on license information.

It looks like you've never created or uploaded an OXT file: you may want
to create one if you want to play with these concepts. The site does the
processing, but indeed the license is not shown. And it wouldn't be
useful for indexing as it is free text or link (if I remember
correctly). So you can write "GPL3", "GPL 3", "GPLv3", "GPL version 3"
or any link to the GPLv3 and it would be classified differently.

But showing the license info would be useful and probably feasible.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Extention License information on the webinterface

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Uups wrong topic.

Currently you have to download the extention in order to see the license.
With OO 3.3 I have seen that you have to add the license in the extention description.
I wonder if we can read the extention description and use that for the extention page.
It could help to clarify the user before downloading which condition he is expecting to agree to.
Plus we could maybe add search functionality based on license information.

If you think the step further we could use all the information stored in an extention to explain what the extention is about.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 4/27/18 12:49 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi -
>
>> On Apr 27, 2018, at 9:37 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 26.04.2018 um 07:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> I wonder if we could fuel the Extention information presented on the website from the Information provided in the Extention itself.
>>> In addition we store only rateings from users to the extention.
>>> Is this a possible vision?
>>> Where are the cave eats for this?
>>
>> at the moment I've no idea what you mean. Can you give an example *what* you would like to see ans *where*? Maybe it's then easier to imagine. ;-)
>
> AFAIK - the templates and extensions systems and data are managed by SourceForge and they are Drupal based.

The extensions.openoffice.org and templates.openoffice.org sites are hosted on
SourceForge infrastructure but not managed or developed by SourceForge.  Some
years ago there was a Drupal contractor that helped develop those sites, but
that is no longer the case.  Like all of SourceForge's project web hosting, it
is general purpose hosting and the project (Apache OpenOffice) has full access
and control and responsibility for the code and data; SourceForge just provides
the infrastructure.  SourceForge has done minor Drupal upgrades to ensure the
sites stay secure, and can offer a helping hand to diagnose issues, etc from
time to time.  We also have Drupal admin login credentials for historical
reasons, but would be happy to hand that over to OpenOffice members at any time.

And any OpenOffice developer that wants to work on the sites to enhance them
could do so.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Extention License information on the webinterface

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 9:37 AM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> Am 26.04.2018 um 07:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> I wonder if we could fuel the Extention information presented on the website from the Information provided in the Extention itself.
>> In addition we store only rateings from users to the extention.
>> Is this a possible vision?
>> Where are the cave eats for this?
>
> at the moment I've no idea what you mean. Can you give an example *what* you would like to see ans *where*? Maybe it's then easier to imagine. ;-)

AFAIK - the templates and extensions systems and data are managed by SourceForge and they are Drupal based.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.