Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by pcbugfixer <he...@pcbugfixer.com.au> on 2007/04/03 17:13:47 UTC

Change from "new mail mode" to "add to the existing header"

Using SA v3.1.8 - on cPanel Pro v1.0(RC36) - invocing SA via Mail settings -
Mail Manager Main Menu -and enabling SpamAssassin and Spam Box.

How do I do this please,
- Need help please to perform the following change so that the SA report
Adds to the existing header and not generate a new e-Mail.

Description of problem:
"Your server is running incoming mail through SpamAssassin, which is set in
the 'new mail' mode.  This means it is scanning the incoming mail and
creating a new email with the original spam attached, rather than set to
simply adding to the headers, leaving the originating information intact.
Because SpamAssassin is creating a new email, that is the email that is
being submitted and parsed, correctly identifying the source of the mail
submitted (which is from your server).
The SpamAssassin setting needs to be changed to add to the existing header
rather than attaching the incoming spam as an attachment."

I know this should be simple but at 1:16 am in the morning after a long day,
nothing is.

Re: Change from "new mail mode" to "add to the existing header"

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 03:44:31PM -0700, pcbugfixer wrote:

> John D. Hardin wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:
> >> The SpamAssassin setting needs to be changed to add to the
> >> existing header rather than attaching the incoming spam as an
> >> attachment."
> > Quick response: check your report_safe setting...
> >
> Not that I am not greatfull for the reply - however all the attached junk
> just to tell me "Quick response: check your report_safe setting..." when
> these "report_safe setting" are not in the "SpamAssassin Configuration" does
> not help.
> Obviously the setting would have to be in the "rewrite_header subject" field
> entry box if I am not mistaken and I need to know what to enter  to make the
> change ? In the FAQ, the indicator is "ChangingMarkup" I think,
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ChangingMarkup which does not explain
> what does which and how - so what do I enter please ??
> Is Dan Kohn about to answeer this please.

If I understand your problem correctly, what you need to do is put

  report_safe 0

in your local.cf (probably in /etc/mail/spamassassin or similar).
Details are in "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf".

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so
you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my
disciples, if you love one another."  John 13:34-35 (NIV)

Re: Change from "new mail mode" to "add to the existing header"

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:

> Thanks for answers, Bob and John - Instructions are clear - what
> is not, is where to run this from, or in what field on my cPanel -
> Mail SpamAssassin - SpamAssassin Configuration - ? do I run the
> "Run:  perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf"  from ?

That's a command you run on the command line in order to see the
SpamAssassin documentation.

I can't help you with using cPanel, I don't know anything about it.

> - frustrating helping me I know, however it seems that I cannot
> perform something that is not in the SA configuration panel - or
> this needs to be done on the Web Host Server ?

If cPanel does not expose a configuration option, then you can either
contact whoever maintains cPanel and ask them to add that capability,
or directly edit the SA configuration files on the server. Do you have
command-line access to the system where SpamAssassin is running?

(Actually, you may have a third option: ask someone who *does* have
command line access to the server to edit the config file for you -
for example, if it is in a hosted environment where you have limited
administrative access...)

  The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that the stupid
  desire to remain ignorant.                             -- Jim Bacon
 10 days until Thomas Jefferson's 264th Birthday

Re: Change from "new mail mode" to "add to the existing header"

Posted by pcbugfixer <he...@pcbugfixer.com.au>.

John D. Hardin wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:
>> > Quick response: check your report_safe setting...
>> Not that I am not greatfull for the reply - however all the
>> attached junk just to tell me "Quick response: check your
>> report_safe setting..." when these "report_safe setting" are not
>> in the "SpamAssassin Configuration" does not help.
>
> Run:  perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
> and look for "report_safe". You should see:
>
>  report_safe ( 0 | 1 | 2 )     (default: 1)
>      if this option is set to 1, if an incoming message is tagged as
>      spam, instead of modifying the original message, SpamAssassin will
>      create a new report message and attach the original message as a
>      message/rfc822 MIME part (ensuring the original message is com-
>      pletely preserved, not easily opened, and easier to recover).
>
>      If this option is set to 2, then original messages will be attached
>      with a content type of text/plain instead of message/rfc822.  This
>      setting may be required for safety reasons on certain broken mail
>      clients that automatically load attachments without any action by
>      the user.  This setting may also make it somewhat more difficult to
>      extract or view the original message.
>
>      If this option is set to 0, incoming spam is only modified by
>      adding some "X-Spam-" headers and no changes will be made to the
>      body.  In addition, a header named X-Spam-Report will be added to
>      spam.  You can use the remove_header option to remove that header
>      after setting report_safe to 0.
>
>      See report_safe_copy_headers if you want to copy headers from the
>      original mail into tagged messages.

Thanks for answers, Bob and John - Instructions are clear - what is not, is
where to run this from, or in what field on my cPanel - Mail SpamAssassin -
SpamAssassin Configuration - ? do I run the "Run:  perldoc
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf"
 from ? - frustrating helping me I know, however it seems that I cannot

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:

> John D. Hardin wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:
> >> The SpamAssassin setting needs to be changed to add to the
> >> existing header rather than attaching the incoming spam as an
> >> attachment."
> >
> > Quick response: check your report_safe setting...
>
> Not that I am not greatfull for the reply - however all the
> attached junk just to tell me "Quick response: check your
> report_safe setting..." when these "report_safe setting" are not
> in the "SpamAssassin Configuration" does not help.

Run:  perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

and look for "report_safe". You should see:

 report_safe ( 0 | 1 | 2 )     (default: 1)
     if this option is set to 1, if an incoming message is tagged as
     spam, instead of modifying the original message, SpamAssassin will
     create a new report message and attach the original message as a
     message/rfc822 MIME part (ensuring the original message is com-
     pletely preserved, not easily opened, and easier to recover).

     If this option is set to 2, then original messages will be attached
     with a content type of text/plain instead of message/rfc822.  This
     setting may be required for safety reasons on certain broken mail
     clients that automatically load attachments without any action by
     the user.  This setting may also make it somewhat more difficult to
     extract or view the original message.

     If this option is set to 0, incoming spam is only modified by
     adding some "X-Spam-" headers and no changes will be made to the
     body.  In addition, a header named X-Spam-Report will be added to
     spam.  You can use the remove_header option to remove that header
     after setting report_safe to 0.

     See report_safe_copy_headers if you want to copy headers from the
     original mail into tagged messages.

> Obviously the setting would have to be in the "rewrite_header
> subject" field entry box

..."field entry box"? Are you using some sort of GUI to configure SA?
If so, and if the report_safe option is not exposed, you may be out of
luck, and will have to contact whoever wrote the GUI that stands
between you and the config files.

More details about your SA install, please, particularly whether
you're actually editing the config files or not.

 What nuts do with guns is terrible, certainly. But what evil or crazy
 people do with *anything* is not a valid argument for banning that
 item.                            -- John C. Randolph <jc...@idiom.com>

Posted by pcbugfixer <he...@pcbugfixer.com.au>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, pcbugfixer wrote:

> The SpamAssassin setting needs to be changed to add to the
> existing header rather than attaching the incoming spam as an
> attachment."

Quick response: check your report_safe setting...

  Efficiency can magnify good, but it magnifies evil just as well.
  So, we should not be surprised to find that modern electronic
  communication magnifies stupidity as *efficiently* as it magnifies
  intelligence.                                   -- Robert A. Matern
 10 days until Thomas Jefferson's 264th Birthday