Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/15 11:40:10 UTC

Ivy web site

Hi,

The problem for the download page is now fixed, but it has raised some
questions about how we manage our web site:
- we are not in sync with what the apache documentation says on how to
manage web sites [1]. We should put generated site in svn to comply
- by uploading the generated web site, we do not support the executable flag
which is a problem for download.cgi
- uploading the whole site takes a long time sometimes for small changes
only, using svn would rely on diff only which would make the "upload" (would
be a commit actually) more efficient.

Hence I'm in favor of storing the result of site generation in svn and
checkout this result on people.a.o for the web site. Making changes to the
site would still be done to the site source, and a generation (requiring ant
1.7 and java 6) would still be necessary.

WDYT?

Xavier

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy web site

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 17, 2007 7:31 AM, <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> > - by uploading the generated web site, we do not support the
> > executable flag which is a problem for download.cgi
>
> Something like
>  <sshexec command="chmod +x ${files}"/>
> ?

Yes :-)

> > - uploading the whole site takes a long time sometimes for
> > small changes only, using svn would rely on diff only which would make
> the
> > "upload" (would be a commit actually) more efficient.
>

> When uploading you could use the <modified> selector.

Not as efficient as svn commit (which send the diff only and is based on
actual remote state and not a local cache) but could highly improve the
upload if we stick with the generation/upload rather than generation/commit,
thanks for the advice.

Xavier

> Jan

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

AW: Ivy web site

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.

Re: Ivy web site

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 17, 2007 12:02 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> "Xavier Hanin" <xa...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > - we are not in sync with what the apache documentation says on how to
> > manage web sites [1]. We should put generated site in svn to comply
>
> Not a hard rule, but still preferred (so the site can be put back into
> its old state incase of an accident).  It is also better from an
> oversight point of view, any site change results in a commit mail.

Any site change should already result in a commit e-mail in the site source.
The difference is that we sometimes update the site source without actually
updating the site immediately (like I did to prepare beta release). In this
case the commits would be more accurate.

> > - by uploading the generated web site, we do not support the executable
> flag
> > which is a problem for download.cgi
>
> Like Jan said, use an explicity <sshexec/> - or don't use Ant tasks at
> all but use rsync instead.

Indeed, but the problem of using rsync is that all current Ivy committers
are mostly Windows users AFAIK, so it requires a tool like cygwin installed.

> > - uploading the whole site takes a long time sometimes for small changes
> > only,
>
> rsync would solve that.
>
> Still ...
>
> > Hence I'm in favor of storing the result of site generation in svn and
> > checkout this result on people.a.o for the web site.
>
> +1

Agreed, despite the other possible solutions I'm still +1 too. Other
opinions?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy web site

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
"Xavier Hanin" <xa...@gmail.com> writes:

> - we are not in sync with what the apache documentation says on how to
> manage web sites [1]. We should put generated site in svn to comply

Not a hard rule, but still preferred (so the site can be put back into
its old state incase of an accident).  It is also better from an
oversight point of view, any site change results in a commit mail.

> - by uploading the generated web site, we do not support the executable flag
> which is a problem for download.cgi

Like Jan said, use an explicity <sshexec/> - or don't use Ant tasks at
all but use rsync instead.

> - uploading the whole site takes a long time sometimes for small changes
> only,

rsync would solve that.

Still ...