Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tonni Aagesen <ag...@stofanet.dk> on 2002/09/16 00:55:30 UTC

mod_webapp troubles?

Hi List,

I've installed Tomcat-4.0.4 and libapache-mod-webapp on my Debian Woody
(2.4.19) box where Apache-1.3.26 was already installed.

Tomcat itself runs perfectly and I can test almost all examples. However, I
will only be using Tomcat through Apache but I cant get the two servers to
work together.

I get this error when starting apache:
"Invalid command 'WebAppDeploy', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration
failed"

I've written parts of my config files below... Hope you can push me in the
right direction.

Best regards
Tonni Aagesen

------- httpd.conf ---------
LoadModule webapp_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_webapp.so
Port 80
Port 443
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples

-------- server.xml ----------
<Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
         enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
         acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
name="localhost" debug="0">
              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

RE: mod_webapp troubles?

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
I've used mod-webapp with apache 1.3 for ages on windows, linux and Solaris.
It does work.  I've never managed to connect Apache 2 to Tomcat though ;-)

Andy

Re: mod_webapp troubles?

Posted by "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <ve...@veldy.net>.

Re: mod_webapp troubles?

Posted by David W Rhodes <da...@zimmer.com>.
I've run into the problem before where WebAppConnection and WebAppDeploy
didn't work unless they were defined within a VirtualHost, rather than
in the main configuration section of httpd.conf. This was with Apache
1.3.2x and Tomcat 4.0.3 running on Solaris 8. You may want to give it a
try anyhow....
- Dave

RE: mod_webapp troubles?

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Tonni,

I have had problems with this before and I think I solved it once by moving
the WebAppDeploy statement around.
My notes say this:

Install the webapp connector.  Unzip and copy mod_webapp.so to
/usr/lib/apache
Edit /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and add the following:
LoadModule webapp_module      modules/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c

Edit ServerName to localhost

The LoadModule statement should go after all existing LoadModule statements.
The AddModule statement should go after all existing AddModule statements

Then in the httpd.conf file, add the following After add modules:
#Tomcat Connection
WebAppConnection conn      warp  localhost:8008

Then add this after a </DIRECTORY> line:
WebAppDeploy     control conn  /control

I also run with server.xml cut down so only apache tomcat is enabled, not
standalone tomcat.

If you're still stuck, I'd happily have a look at httpd.conf and server.xml
tomorrow if you send them to me, but I'm afraid it's bed time for me now.

All the best,

Andy

Re: mod_webapp troubles?

RE: How and when to upgrade Tomcat 3.2.4 to Tomcat 4.1.10 Stable (Anybody?)

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.
We have been running tomcat 3.2.4 connected to Apache for about a year now.
We have configured about 200 virtual hosts (through server.xml) that are
using Tomcat to serve jsp files and run web applications.  Most of the
customers use the same application.

We are having a major problem, every time we want to change that
application, we need to restart tomcat, which means shutting down sessions
for users from every single virtual host.  This is a total pain!

We would like to upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.10 for it's manager capabilities,
especially restarting applications.  We would also like to stay somewhat
current so that we can get support from this usergroup when we have
questions.  There don't seem to be too many people interested in 3.2.4
questions anymore.

Question 1: Every *.jsp request is mapped to mod_jk, the workers.properties
seems to specify the home installation for Tomcat.  We would like to setup
4.1.10 and send new hosts to that instance, while leaving old customers
running on 3.2.4 at least until we are sure everything is working with the
new installation.  We do not have access to map *.jsp to a certain tomcat
instance because of the way our server administrator tool handles apache
virtual hosts.  Is this possible?  Are we stuck with only one instance of
tomcat if every *.jsp request goes to mod_jk?

Question 2:  Has anyone done this upgrade before and is it a major task?  Is
this even worth doing, or should we stick with 3.2.4 until we need to set up
an entirely new server?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or answers!

Brandon

How and when to upgrade Tomcat 3.2.4 to Tomcat 4.1.10 Stable

RE: mod_webapp troubles?

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Tonni,

Re: mod_webapp troubles?