Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com> on 2005/05/02 13:54:10 UTC

Re: Observation on secondary MX

On 5/2/2005 1:48 PM +0200, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:
> spam going to that server!   I wonder if the spammers have cached the
> old MX entry

Jup.

Niek

Re: Observation on secondary MX

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.

Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Monday, May 2, 2005, 4:54:10 AM, Niek Niek wrote:
>
>>On 5/2/2005 1:48 PM +0200, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:
>>
>>>spam going to that server!   I wonder if the spammers have cached the
>>>old MX entry
>

>>Jup.
>

>>Niek
>

> And spam through our real backup MX did die down when I added a
> fake second backup MX (third MX record), but after a while spam
> levels to the real backup MX seemed to come back up.
>
> Gonna try postgrey methinks:
>
>   http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/
>
> Jeff C.

Hi Jeff,

I implemented greylisting on our Qmail servers (I believe the code was
based on postgrey) and my spam dropped from 100-200 a day to 5 or 6 a week.

Please note that you are going to have to whitelist certain servers that
bounce email back to the recipient on a 421 - try again later soft error
and you may want to white list certain IP ranges like yahoo groups etc.

Apparently, some banks and other large operations are still using older
NT exchange and Novell email servers that erroneously bounce messages
instead of trying again on a 421 soft error.

If you'd like my white list, just ask.  I'm also working on a per user
greylist OFF feature (actually it's done, I just have to code the web
page for the users to enable it), as I've had a lot of requests to turn
off greylisting for certain users (reporters, doctors etc, what we've
done to this point in un-greylist the entire domain but that's not
always acceptable to the client).

Regards,

Rick

Re: Observation on secondary MX