Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Liraz Siri <li...@turnkeylinux.org> on 2009/04/13 19:55:22 UTC

Announcing new Apache Tomcat installable Live CD appliance

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the developers for TurnKey Linux, a community oriented open
source project developing a family of free, Ubuntu-based installable
Live CDs which are lightweight and optimized for ease of use in
server-type usage scenarios (e.g., LAMP, Joomla CMS, Drupal, Ruby on Rails):

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances

We're proud to announce the release of TurnKey Apache Tomcat, an
installable live CD of Apache Tomcat that can run on real hardware in
addition to most types of virtual machines (e.g., VMWare, VirtualBox,
Parallels, Xen HVM). It is designed to provide users with a
pre-integrated, auto-updating, turn-key operating system environment
that is carefully built from the ground up with the minimum components
needed to run Apache Tomcat with maximum usability, efficiency, and
security.

Basically this is an extremely easy way to get up and running with
Apache Tomcat in just a few minutes.

Feature highlights:

* Auto-updated daily with latest security patches
* SSL support out of the box
* Elegant Web administration interface (Mac OS X themed)
* Minimal footprint (212MB)

Full details: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances/tomcat

BTW, this type of pre-integrated, ready-to-use system is typically
called a software appliance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_appliance

Take a look and tell us what you think!

Cheers,
Liraz

Re: Announcing new Apache Tomcat installable Live CD appliance

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
2009/4/20 Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>:
> Leon Rosenberg:
>
>> tomcat standalone performs better in most setups (yes, yes sendfile
>> myth is there too, but the performance measurements shows that tomcats
>> plain old java connector performs better)
>
> Which performance measurements do show that?

Tomcat: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101060/chapter/index.html

> Regards
>  mks

regards
Leon

Re: Announcing new Apache Tomcat installable Live CD appliance

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
Leon Rosenberg:

Posted by Liraz Siri <li...@turnkeylinux.org>.
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Apparently you haven't consulted any tomcat-using java developers, since

That's sort of why we posted to tomcat-users. We're not Apache Tomcat
experts ourselves, so we figured the community would have some good
feedback on our first stab at a Tomcat appliance.

> tomcat standalone performs better in most setups (yes, yes sendfile
> myth is there too, but the performance measurements shows that tomcats
> plain old java connector performs better)

Ah. We seem to have been misinformed.

> If you are really looking for a useful load-balanced appliance check
> for keepalived or pound.

Thanks for the feedback. Really, this is exactly what we need to improve
the next version.

If anyone else has any feedback on our beta appliance or good ideas for
the next version, speak up!

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Liraz Siri <li...@turnkeylinux.org> wrote:
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> If your goal was a minimal set of components, why did you choose to
>> include Apache httpd + mod_jk, neither of which are required to run Tomcat.
>
> You're right Chris, you don't _need_ Apache, and therefore mod_jk to run
> Tomcat. Tomcat can listen (and does by default, though we turned it off
> for security reasons) and answer requests directly.
>
> OTOH, we consulted with a few Java people who told us you usually (in a
> production setting) want a load-balancer (eg. Apache) in front of your
> Tomcat node[s] to:

Apparently you haven't consulted any tomcat-using java developers, since

> A) improve performance

tomcat standalone performs better in most setups (yes, yes sendfile
myth is there too, but the performance measurements shows that tomcats
plain old java connector performs better)

> B) make the setup easier to maintain

how can adding unneeded complexitty make things easier?

> C) provide a way to serve static content

See A)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Announcing new Apache Tomcat installable Live CD appliance

Posted by Liraz Siri <li...@turnkeylinux.org>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> I would argue that "A" is best achieved by a hardware load balancer
> rather than Apache httpd, "B" is actually /not/ achieved by the addition
> of Apache httpd (more components means more complexity which means
> higher maintenance costs), and "C" is served perfectly by Tomcat alone.
>
> If I were you, I would provide a Tomcat-only "appliance" and a separate
> "load-balancer" appliance that could be trivially combined to achieve
> all your goals.

Quite right. We forwarded some of the feedback we received on the list
to some of the people consulted with and it seems there was a
misunderstanding on our part. It doesn't make sense for the load
balancer and Tomcat to be in the same appliance. We'll be fixing that in
the next version.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Announcing new Apache Tomcat installable Live CD appliance

Posted by Liraz Siri <li...@turnkeylinux.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.