Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Himanshu Vijay <hi...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/01 09:06:44 UTC

Re: Cluster config: Mapper:Reducer Task Capapcity

What is the down side of increasing both
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
and mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum to same value ?

I read on this link<http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module7.html>that:
 mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum 1/2 * (cores/node) to 2 *
(cores/node)Number
of map tasks to deploy on each machine.
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum1/2 * (cores/node) to 2 *
(cores/node) Number of reduce tasks to deploy on each machine.
Each node has 8 cores. So according to above guidance I should both the
configs from 4 to 16. The ratio of mapper to reducer doesn't really matter
as far as these two properties are concerned.

--
-Himanshu Vijay