Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/02 00:19:49 UTC

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Felix Bundle Archive File Installer Extension

I apologize for coming late to this discussion, but longstanding policy is to accept either SGA or CCLA that identifies the contribution to the satisfaction of the contributor. We don't try to second-guess the intent of the grantor. We assume that their own counsel have reviewed the grant.

Some licensors are very specific about their contributions, listing urls and timestamps; or specific file names. Others are less precise, simply naming the package that they are licensing to us.

If the grant is general, this indicates that the licensor is granting pretty much everything associated with the project. In most cases, this is what is intended when "moving a project" to Apache.

If the grant is specific, this indicates that the licensor is choosing not to grant everything, but only those parts explicitly named. In this case, the receiving project needs to be more diligent about only taking those pieces that are named in the grant.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Felix Bundle Archive File Installer Extension

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Craig,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I hope that this thread will inform future situations where a CCLA/SGA
> is descriptive but not extremely detailed....

Thank you for your clarifications, they help make this archived thread
more useful.

-Bertrand

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Felix Bundle Archive File Installer Extension

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

> On Mar 1, 2018, at 10:20 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I apologize for coming late to this discussion, but longstanding policy
>> is to accept either SGA or CCLA that identifies the contribution to the
>> satisfaction of the contributor....
>
> So IIUC this means you agree with the way this has been handled?

I agree with accepting Intel's CCLA/grant for "Felix" and proceeding with IP Clearance.

I agree with the conclusion that Intel's explicit grant for "Felix" as identified on Schedule B of the CCLA provides sufficient coverage for us to remove Intel's copyright statements on the code donated to Felix.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Craig,