Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Vladimir Ozerov <pp...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/13 16:56:07 UTC

Re: Top-down optimizer cannot explore the search space because physical rule is treated as transformation rule

Hi,

I tried to apply different approaches, but eventually, I failed to achieve
my goals. It seems that the current implementation cannot handle the
required scenario, as explained below.

Consider the following tree:
LogicalAggregate1[group=[b,c]]
  LogicalAggregate2[group=[a,b,c]]
    LogicalInput

I want to find the plan to do these two aggregations without an exchange in
between because they may have compatible distributions. Example:
PhysicalAggregate1[group=[b,c]]     // SHARDED[b,c]
  PhysicalAggregate2[group=[a,b,c]] // SHARDED[b,c]
    Exchange                        // SHARDED[b,c]
      PhysicalInput                 // SHARDED[?]

The fundamental problem is that it is impossible to save the optimization
request and resolve traits in the "derive" phase afterward. What we need is
to send the optimization request "SHARDED by [b,c] in any order" to
PhysicalAggregate2, and use it in the derive phase so that the new
PhysicalAggregate2 is created with [b,c] or [c,b], but strictly without
[a]. Unfortunately, this doesn't work because the nodes emitted from the
pass-through do not participate in the "derive" phase.

This could be fixed with a trivial change - to allow certain nodes emitted
from the "passThrough" to participate in "derive". We can do that using a
marker interface or an extension to a PhysicalRel interface. For example:
interface PhysicalRel {
    boolean enforceDerive();
}

When set to "true", the node would not be added to the pass-through cache.
This way, we may use this node as *storage* for the optimization request.
When the "derive" is called later, we know both the parent requirements and
the child traits. This would be sufficient to solve my problem. I already
tried to do this by disabling the pass-through cache completely and
confirmed that the required plan is found.

Do you have any objections to such a change?

Regards,
Vladimir.

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <pp...@gmail.com>.
Please disregard this email. I sent it to the wrong thread, sorry.