Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by ow <on...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/13 19:28:00 UTC

Axis/Tomcat memory leak?

java version "1.4.1_02"
Tomcat 4.1.24
Axis 1.1 Build 0206 June 7 2003

Hi,

A deployed WS works fine for 1, 10, ..., 10K invocations. With 100K
invocations, Tomcat dies with OutOfMemoryError. I'm pretty sure that it's not a
problem with the logic that the WS calls since the logic works for 10M
invocations without any problems.

The WS was deployed with deployscope="session" and I see about 66K of
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession objects hanging around. It appears
that new session is created for each WS call even though I reuse the same
"binding" for all calls. BTW, changing scope to "application" does not help,
Tomcat still dies with OutOfMemoryError. Also, there's about 13K instances of
java.util.Hashmap which seems somewhat large ...

I can increase the Tomcat's heap at startup and then 100K invocations work fine
but, obviously, this is not a solution in the long term.

Any ideas? Thanks

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Re: Axis/Tomcat memory leak?

Posted by ow <on...@yahoo.com>.
--- ow <on...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> The WS was deployed with deployscope="session" and I see about 66K of
> org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession objects hanging around. It
> appears
> that new session is created for each WS call even though I reuse the same
> "binding" for all calls. BTW, changing scope to "application" does not help,
> Tomcat still dies with OutOfMemoryError. Also, there's about 13K instances of
> java.util.Hashmap which seems somewhat large ...
[...]

I have to correct myself. Changing scope to "application" does help (resolves
the issue) and results in much smaller heap. Perhaps I need to understand
session management in Axis better.
Any pointers? Thanks

http://calendar.yahoo.com