Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/04/06 08:07:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Make libpcap mandatory?

Hi,

I’m currently working on the prerequisiteCheck for my new plc4c module and am testing on empty OSes (OSes without any installed additional software)
I noticed there are tests like the Raw-Socket test that naturally fail if you don’t have libpcap (or the windows counterpart installed) …

We now have two options:

  1.  Make libpcap mandatory
  2.  Disable any test that is libpcap related

1) is the more secure version, but I think some people might have objections to installing libpcap on their systems.

How about automatically disabling these tests and to have a check in the prerequisiteChecks to not allow doing an “apache-release” without libpcap?

Got any other ideas?

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Make libpcap mandatory?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Let's not introduce yet another way to do such things ... these annotations seem to work fine and we/I've used them all over the place to make the testsuite runnable in all sorts of different scenarios.

So-far we have:
- RequireInternetConnection
- RequireNonCaptureAllDns
- RequirePcap
- RequirePcapNg

Chris

    Also one can use „assumeThat()“ in junit for such things.

Posted by Googlemail OS <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.