Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/27 02:49:50 UTC

OutOfMemoryError when running sbt/sbt test

Hi spark.

I've been trying to build spark, but I've been getting lots of oome
exceptions.

https://gist.github.com/jayunit100/d424b6b825ce8517d68c

For the most part, they are of the form:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

I've attempted to hard code the "get_mem_opts" function, which is in the
sbt-launch-lib.bash file, to
have various very high parameter sizes (i.e. -Xms5g") with high
MaxPermSize, etc... and to no avail.

I know of others having the same problem as well.

Thanks!

--
jay vyas

Re: OutOfMemoryError when running sbt/sbt test

Posted by Anand Avati <av...@gluster.org>.
Hi Jay,
The recommended way to build spark from source is through the maven system.
You would want to follow the steps in
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/building-with-maven.html to set the
MAVEN_OPTS to prevent OOM build errors.

Thanks

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks...! Some questions below.

1) you are suggesting that maybe this OOME is a symptom/red herring , and the true cause of it is that a thread can't span because of ulimit... If so possibly this could be flagged early on in the build.  And -- where are so many threads coming from that I need to up my limit?   Is this a new feature added to spark recently, and if so will it effect deployments scenarios as well?

And

2) possibly SBT_OPTS is where the memory settings should be ? If so, then why do we have the get_mem_opts wrapper function coded to send memory manually as Xmx/Xms options?
  execRunner "$java_cmd" \
    ${SBT_OPTS:-$default_sbt_opts} \
    $(get_mem_opts $sbt_mem) \
    ${java_opts} \