Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by David Thielen <da...@windward.net> on 2004/07/18 16:54:56 UTC

Axis vs servlet, do it yourself

Hi;

I have a question about taking 3 different approaches to providing my
program as a web service:

1.	Use axis
2.	Write a servlet and read/write the complete SOAP message
3.	Sit on a port of my own and and handle the http socket read/writes.

My question is what are the disadvantages as you move down the line.

Going from axis to servlet the only thing I can think of is you lose the
upcoming xml security stuff that will be coming out in the next year. Is
there any other downside? Goin the servlet route would definitely be faster.
(No disrespect to the Axis team as it is a large product but I am going on
my 10th day of trying to get a web service that C# can access too with no
luck so the servlet route is less work.)

Going from servlet to my own server then I lose sharing the same port (not a
biggie), not being able to be on a specific port like port 80 if it's used
by the application server (this could be big), and possibly better handling
of very high traffic (although I've written some high traffic socket code so
I'm not too worried about that).

Am I missing anything? Because time-wise I think doing it myself will be a
lot faster. (I have to admit .net is wonderful in this respect - maybe 20
seconds to create the service and 1 minute to create the client.) So if
there is no significant downside, I think I'll go the servlet or do it
myself route. (And I would create a .net client to make sure I'm exposing
everything and displaying the wsdl correctly.)

Thanks - dave

Re: Axis Tuning

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
hmmm...there's no special flag like that that i know of. Am working on
perf related stuff and hence the question so that we can fix it before
1.2 gets out the door.

-- dims

Posted by Steve Wells <St...@mohomine.com>.

Re: Axis Tuning

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
are u using 1.2 beta2?

--dims

Axis Tuning

Re: Axis vs servlet, do it yourself

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
If you really want to do this with Axis...Here are the steps:
- design wsdl using .NET (or XMLSPY - stick to doc/lit)
- run WSDL2Java with "-s" option to generate the server-side stuff as well.
- make changed to the Impl and deploy the service.
- Run wsdl.exe against the WSDL generated by Axis.
- run the C# client.

-- dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
you are on the wrong mailing list....try soap-builders mailing on
groups.yahoo.com

-- dims