Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Dick Davies <di...@hellooperator.net> on 2014/07/02 00:20:10 UTC

number of masters and quorum

I might be wrong but doesn't the new quorum setting mean
it only makes sense to run an odd number of masters
(a la zookeepers)?

i.e. 4 masters is no more resilient than 3 (in fact less so, since
you increase your chance of a node failure as number of nodes
increases).

Re: number of masters and quorum

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify:

You can run a single master (--quorum=1) if you are looking to experiment
and don't care about high availability.

You can run 3 masters (--quorum=2) if you want to remain operating with 1
machine being down (planned or unplanned). You can also operate in the face
of the complete loss of 1 of the disks/machines.

You can run 5 masters (--quorum=3) if you want to remain operating with 2
machines being down (planned or unplanned). You can also operate in the
face of the complete loss of 2 of the disks/machines.

And so on. I would recommend 3 or 5 depending on your requirements. Jie
and/or myself will look to get some documentation up for this soon!

Posted by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Dick, you are right.