Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2004/03/27 00:38:22 UTC

Re: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Noel J. Bergman wrote: [comments on stuff about JAM by Patrick Calahan]
---

For those on the CC list: JAM is a metadata library combining features
of the reflection API, JSR 175, commons-attributes, JClass and some
other projects:

     http://www.pcal.net/jam

that Patrick just introduced on general@incubator. First impression:
good stuff! Seems like a much better implementation of something I
thought about here:

    http://www.jroller.com/comments/lsd?anchor=rethinking_attributes

it would be so cool if you (Patrick) and Leo Sutic (the guy who wrote
the current commons-sandbox-attributes) could get together and merge
these two codebases (commons-attributes has some strengths that jam
seems to lack, like being smaller and having what seems like a cleaner
and easier runtime API, and vice versa the same is true of course) into
a new de facto standard.

Though I can't commit time to help coding right now, I'll volunteer to
otherwise help you out with a quick progression through whatever process
into whatever final destination. As to destination, jakarta-commons
seems a natural choice to me. As to process, if jakarta-commons wants
the code, you have a CLA on file, and the code was developed completely
within an ASF repo @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need to have this go
through incubation. It would just be up to jakarta-commons to accept it.
The package name then would probably become org.apache.commons.meta or
something like that.

Please direct replies to general@incubator and drop the CC list.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

RE: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> As to process, if jakarta-commons wants the code, you have a CLA on
> file, and the code was developed completely within an ASF repo
> @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need to have this go through incubation.

One small detail: XMLBeans, itself, is in the Incubator.  :-)  It has
neither cleared nor asked to clear it, and JAMS is a part of XMLBeans.
Therefore it does need to clear the Incubator.  But that doesn't mean it
needs to wait for the rest of XMLBeans.  It would clear on its own merits.

Other than that, your approach was spot on.  :-)  And I agree with your idea
to put Leo Sutic and Patrick Calahan together.  Good synergies.

	--- Noel

RE: moving JAM to org.apache.jam

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
VERY QUICK REPLY:

Looks interesting.

Some more issues to keep in mind:

 + There are users of C-A out there: Spring Framework
(www.springframework.org)
   is one of them. This means that we can't just replace C-A with JAM.
   Even though it is in sandbox, going from one API to another isn't the
   proper way to ever get out of sandbox.

 + There are users of JAM out there: XMLBeans, for one.
   This means that we can't just replace JAM with C-A.
   Even though it is in incubator, going from one API to
   another isn't theproper way to ever get out of incubator.

 + The two APIs are quite different in their approach.

But let's try a merge anyway.

I'm up for it.

/LS

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Patrick Calahan <pc...@bea.com>.
At 12:38 AM 3/27/2004 +0100, Leo Simons wrote:
>Noel J. Bergman wrote: [comments on stuff about JAM by Patrick Calahan]

Hi Leo.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

>it would be so cool if you (Patrick) and Leo Sutic (the guy who wrote the
>current commons-sandbox-attributes) could get together and merge these two
>codebases (commons-attributes has some strengths that jam seems to lack,
>like being smaller and having what seems like a cleaner and easier runtime
>API, and vice versa the same is true of course) into a new de facto standard.

Ok.  I will take a look at commons-attributes and drop Leo a line.

>Though I can't commit time to help coding right now, I'll volunteer to
>otherwise help you out with a quick progression through whatever process
>into whatever final destination. As to destination, jakarta-commons seems a

That would be great.  Since I'm not very familiar with these processes, any
help you can give me in this area would be invaluable.

>natural choice to me. As to process, if jakarta-commons wants the code,
>you have a CLA on file, and the code was

Right, that's what I was guessing as well.

>developed completely within an ASF repo @ xmlbeans, I don't think we need
>to have this go through incubation. It would just be up to jakarta-commons
>to accept it. The package name then would probably become
>org.apache.commons.meta or something like that.

Sounds good.  Thanks again.

-Patrick