Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2014/07/12 07:54:52 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing support for Makefile? Was: [VOTE]

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am temporarily putting the [VOTE] thread to halt and instead starting
> [DISCUSS]. Per Jay's:
>
> BIGTOP-1314 highlights the fact that we now have 2 build systems: Makefile
> and build.gradle. And the fact that the Makefile approach is now
> deprecated.
>
> As per Mark's suggestion in that JIRA, the future of Makefile should be
> decided on the mailing list before the next JIRA comes out to further
> distance from Make and embrace gradle.
>
> Should we continue to support the Makefile builder?

I'd be more than happy to get rid of it right after we release Bigtop 0.8.0

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing support for Makefile? Was: [VOTE]

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
I agree with the general sentiment here on the thread.

Since Sean proposed a meetup next week, perhaps, we can kill two birds with
one stone and do some sort of Gradle walk through then? Cos/Roman: would
you be available at that time?

Mark

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing support for Makefile? Was: [VOTE]

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andre Arcilla <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jay,

It sounds great and very comprehensive. As an added bonus, if we capture
the screencast, we can post on Yourtube our own video instructions on how
to build Bigtop, which is helpful for new members.

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Gordon Wang <gw...@pivotal.io>.
+1

--
Regards
Gordon Wang

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
I am on vacation but sounds good!

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
jay vyas

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Julien Eid <ju...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
A small procedural point: the vote will run for at least 72 hours and be
wrapped on Aug 3, 2014 at 21:00 PDT

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Anatoli Fomenko <af...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Sorry for the late response, been OOO.

+1 from me.

Anatoli

On Monday, August 4, 2014 12:12 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

+1

Sorry for a very late reply - was out yesterday. Hopefully, the tally isn't
closed yet.

Cos

Re: [VOTE]

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1

[VOTE]

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Indeed, seems like we are out of opinions ;)
Jay, do you mind re-starting the [VOTE]?

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
jay vyas

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing support for Makefile? Was: [VOTE]

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.