Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ar...@exoplatform.com> on 2009/08/25 18:09:44 UTC

Hibernate feedback about Maven usage.

What do you think about this post and comments :
http://relation.to/12116.laceOne thing that it seems to annoy them is how
our reactor is working.
We cannot call a build from a submodule which will automa(g)ically call
necessary builds in others modules.

Cheers,

Arnaud

# Arnaud Héritier
# Software Factory Manager
# eXo Platform
# http://www.exoplatform.com
# http://blog.aheritier.net

Re: Hibernate feedback about Maven usage.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
I'm talking to the JBoss folks at JBoss World next week.

On 25-Aug-09, at 9:09 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> What do you think about this post and comments :
> http://relation.to/12116.laceOne thing that it seems to annoy them
> is how
> our reactor is working.
> We cannot call a build from a submodule which will automa(g)ically
> call
> necessary builds in others modules.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Arnaud
>
> # Arnaud Héritier
> # Software Factory Manager
> # eXo Platform
> # http://www.exoplatform.com
> # http://blog.aheritier.net

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/SonatypeNexus
http://twitter.com/SonatypeM2E

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: Hibernate feedback about Maven usage.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I have, but I was re-implementing a pattern for dependency handling in
a unified code-tree based a bit on the Ports tree system from the *BSD
projects.  Having said that, it's still rare, and even then, it was
only walking up, because I defined relative location to a root, rather
than absolute location to the root.  In actual fact, I was doing
everything referenced from the top, but the top was defined as
a ../../.. style path from the leaf.

Christian.

On 2009-08-25, at 22:31 , Brian Fox wrote:

> I've never seen make or ant scripts that effectively crawled up a disk
> looking for other things to build. I don't see how maven is different.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Jochen
> Wiedmann<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Arnaud HERITIER-3 wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you think about this post and comments :
>>> http://relation.to/12116.laceOne thing that it seems to annoy them
>>> is how
>>> our reactor is working.
>>> We cannot call a build from a submodule which will automa(g)ically
>>> call
>>> necessary builds in others modules.
>>>

>> Honestly, I never understood why Maven is building modules top down
>> (parents
>> first, then childs) as opposed to the other way. Makefiles, or Ant
>> scripts,
>> are typically working the other way round and that seems much
>> simpler, from
>> my experience.
>>
>> --

Christian Edward Gruber
e-mail: christianedwardgruber@gmail.com
weblog: http://www.geekinasuit.com/

Re: Hibernate feedback about Maven usage.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 25-Aug-09, at 1:27 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Arnaud HERITIER-3 wrote:
>>
>> What do you think about this post and comments :
>> http://relation.to/12116.laceOne thing that it seems to annoy them
>> is how
>> our reactor is working.
>> We cannot call a build from a submodule which will automa(g)ically
>> call
>> necessary builds in others modules.
>>

> Honestly, I never understood why Maven is building modules top down
> (parents
> first, then childs) as opposed to the other way. Makefiles, or Ant
> scripts,
> are typically working the other way round and that seems much
> simpler, from
> my experience.

Maven doesn't internally work top down. It works with a graph and
initially determining the root of the graph was certain when starting
from the top. The reactor plugin goes another step, Maven 3.x has this
behavior built in, and with a deterministic way of knowing the root
(even if you have more projects linked in with relativePath) then
fully utilizing the graph will be reasonably straight forward.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I think it could be an interesting feature (and will help to fight against
others tools siren like graddle ;-) )I agree that it is strange to see this
behavior from another OSS project.
But it's often done like that.
I opened this issue to keep a trace of it :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4324

thanks

Arnaud

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 25, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:

> The best way of getting features into Apache's source repository is to
> submit a patch.

While true, that is a fairly hard task. First, which version would you
target? Many users are still going to be on 2.0.9 while the 2.2 code
base is a bit different and 3.0 even more so. Second, 2.0.x is
incredibly fragile in a lot of cases. Changing much of anything in the
core seems to have lots of side effects.  Just look at how long the
development of 3.0 has been going on and I believe Jason is actually
paying people to try to get the job done.

Some of the complaints were about the release plugin, not just the
ability to build from a subproject. I haven't seen too many comments
that address those issues.

Ralph

Re: Hibernate feedback about Maven usage.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.